Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th February 2009, 18:45

How did you determine that this line:

flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/bin/maildrop -d vmail ${extension} ${recipient} ${user} ${nexthop} ${sender}

would resolve the issue?

I had to add it to my master.cf file for email to be functional.

Also, have you tried RoundCube 0.2 as a webmail client interface?

Roger
Sponsored Links
Old 19th February 2009, 18:58

Do i have to explain ? oh well ok...

Well the fact is, default master.cf with only ${recipient} in there isn't working. So i went to see what maildrop is actually doing... as there is no /etc/maildroprc i thought ispconfig forgot to make it... but actually after i found that it's parsed as .mailfilter in /var/vmail... looking at the code showed:

LOGNAME=tolower("$LOGNAME")
EXTENSION="$1"
RECIPIENT=tolower("$2")
USER="$3"
HOST="$4"
SENDER="$5"
DEFAULT="/var/vmail/$HOST/$USER/."

This means it predicts at least 5 arguments. since $1 , $2 etc... a re arguments passed, so this ${recipient} surely isn't enough... Then i went to see the web a bit for postfix manual... i found that old ispconfig has:

${extension} ${recipient} ${user} ${domain} ${sender}

Adding it, showed error, that it doesn't understand ${domain} variable, so i went to check postfix manual how else i could pass domain to this .mailfilter and i found out that there is ${nexthop} variable to pass that... switching those 2, made email delivered. So that's it.

As of roundcube... i had to modify the friggin installation script, cause 5.2.0 php isn't even in yum's repositories for centos 5.2 ... those dudes developing that webmail are insane... at least they could stick with stable releases of php that is provided in most distributions... (i didn't bother sending them mail, since i fixed it on my own) 5.1.6 is latest supported version in latest centos 5.2 actually. Currently my roundcube is working fine. Firstly i had problems sending mail, becouse mail() function doesn't work properly somehow with default installation, so i entered localhost as smtp, and modified config file not to authenticate to smtpd, becouse it's already in allow list. (for some reason i got error when roundcube wanted to authenticate to my smtpd, but smtpd authentication is working fine... i tested it manually with telneting to it and typing the commands by hand) So yes... i removed the %u and %p in config file, and voila, roundcube worx.

Last edited by bl4ckb1rd; 19th February 2009 at 19:08.
The Following User Says Thank You to bl4ckb1rd For This Useful Post:
rogeramay (19th February 2009)
Old 19th February 2009, 19:30

I very much appreciate your detailed steps on the changes you made and where to look.

This being my first real jump into more advanced configs and changes (coming from sendmail and squirrelmail). The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset.

Once I get into disecting postfix and how things like spamassassin, clamav, roundcube, and such interact, I will be more comfortable with manual changes to necessary files.

Still in the "not even sure what the question is" mode at this time.
Old 19th February 2009, 19:45

Dont worry, I use postfix for the first time myself too. I always used qmail with vpopmail etc on my servers... and some 3rd party patches with it etc. With ispconfig i got postfix, so i had to accomodate to it. It's actually very simple system when you begin to understand it. Especially if you have knowledge how things work on other mailservers... you see about the same functions, just syntax is different.
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:51

bl4ckb1rd,

I ran into your post while running down the very same bugs in the howto. Thanks for taking the time to post your fixes.

There is a CentOS pre-compiled binary of postfix with mysql support but you need to enable the centosplus repository. This URL tells you how and even uses the postfix with mysql as its example:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalRes...ies/CentOSPlus

Thanks,
Doug
Old 31st August 2009, 16:40

bl4ckb1rd,

Your detailed answer was very useful. Despite my main.cf looks like yours, my /var/vmail/.mailfilter was a little different:

LOGNAME=tolower("$LOGNAME")
EXTENSION="$1"
RECIPIENT=tolower("$2")
USER=tolower("$3")
HOST=tolower("$4")
SENDER="$5"
DEFAULT="/var/vmail/$HOST/$USER/."

I figured out the "tolower" at "USER" and "HOST", introduced by "update.php" in ISPConfig 3.0.1.4 beta, was not well accepted by maildrop, resulting the same "unable to open mailbox".

Till told me I should not to remove the function, but it is the manner I finaly got maildrop deliver the messages. Anyway, until I have new answers, it's a minor issue to me.

Thanks again!
Mrcio Arnaldo Borges
from Brazil!