Old 15th February 2009, 22:26

Default E-mail Help !!

Hello,

I have Ubuntu on both a desktop and a laptop. I normally download e-mails on the desktop, in Thunderbird. A few weeks ago, I installed Thunderbird on the laptop, too, and copied all saved e-mails to the laptop, so that I have a back-up for all old e-mails (on both computers).

Soon after that (maybe a week later), the same problem occurred on both computers. When I checked mail in T-Bird, the e-mails would download, with new e-mail titles/senders scrolling down in a list, as normal, on the top half of the T-Bird. However, when I selected a new e-mail, the body text of the e-mail did NOT match the title/sender at all. One of three scenarios, seemingly random, occurred with each e-mail:

(1) The body of the e-mail was completely blank.

OR

(2) The body of the e-mail had some html code, which seemed to be a partial copy of an e-mail from one or two years ago. In many cases, this html code was identical for several e-mails.

OR

(3) The body of the e-mail contained partial text from e-mails from a year or two ago. As with #(2) above, this text was, in many cases, identical, i.e. the same partial e-mail text appeared on multiple e-mails.

In other words, I did not get ANY actual text from the messages that people have been sending. All e-mails in the past couple weeks have displayed one of the above three body texts.

I can surmise that even though the e-mails are downloading, the program is reading them incorrectly, such that the bodies of old e-mails are somehow replacing what should be the text of the new messages.

I have no idea how to handle this. Any ideas? Your help would be GREATLY appreciated!

For the moment, I am checking e-mail via web-based mail, but this is quite inconvenient, considering the high volume of e-mails I receive, and the need to extensively archive and save large amounts of e-mail.

aff
Sponsored Links
Old 16th February 2009, 18:10
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts

Did you check if there's a Thunderbird update available?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 17th February 2009, 08:10

Default thanks

Falko,

Thank you. I believe I have the latest version of Thunderbird on both computers.

I actually called a Linux support line earlier, and the problem is now partially solved. On the laptop, we removed the e-mail account that was having the Inbox problem, removed the saved e-mails from that account (that had been transferred from the desktop), and then created a new e-mail account on T-Bird.

So, now the received e-mails download just fine, but the saved e-mails from before (from the desktop) are gone from the laptop. I am going to try getting those e-mails from desktop to laptop again, via a different method (import/export), and if that works, great.

I can't afford to repeat the process to the desktop, because my only copies of all old, saved e-mails are on there.

aff