#1  
Old 14th February 2009, 12:59
stefanos stefanos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 29
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Perfect server

Hi,

I got a dell 2950 off ebay (at a deal of a life time I think). I have on it now Fedora perfect server 9 but I have a few minor problems. I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to upgrade to to Fedora core 10 - perfect server and start clean as I am quite new to all this. I run a few personal sites from on it on my home ADSL line and I use mydomain for the DNS (because you need 2 NS servers (ip's) and I only have 1 ADSL line).

The questions I have are as follows:

1) It has 2 network cards. should I just not configure 1 one or should I configure both with different ip's?

2) Should I install Fedora 10 or some other system like ubuntu .. mandrake .. etc..

3) It's a bit of a waist for such a PC of all the processing power should I install VMware and run a XP + Fedora perfect server? At the moment I contribute all the extra flops to seti@home.

4) What should I do for a backup solution for my sites?

Kind regards
Stephen
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 15th February 2009, 15:25
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,578 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
1) It has 2 network cards. should I just not configure 1 one or should I configure both with different ip's?
IF you don't want to use that system as a router, you just need one NIC. You can add more IPs by creating virtual network interfaces (there's ab example on http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora-8-s...p-ispconfig-p3 ).


Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
2) Should I install Fedora 10 or some other system like ubuntu .. mandrake .. etc..
That depends totally on you. Personally, for a server I'd use Debian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
3) It's a bit of a waist for such a PC of all the processing power should I install VMware and run a XP + Fedora perfect server?
You can do that. Instead of VMware you could as well use VirtualBox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
4) What should I do for a backup solution for my sites?
Take a look at the "Backup" category: http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/backup
There should be some tutorials that suit your needs.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:53
stefanos stefanos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 29
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Hi Falko,

Thanks for your answer, you gave me some ideas and have been on the research over the last week.

VMWare is a better choice for me for Virtualization as I have some sites running as a VM instance and I would like to be able to make a backup of the image file in case something goes wrong on that server. I also see you use it quite a bit.

I also agree and understand your choice as Debian it's a good OS as a server.

My search has however brought up some good questions that I was unable to find answers to.

As I will not use a Desktop very much but I need one (maybe every 1-2 months), and as I read your How To Install VMware Server On Debian 4.0 (Etch) at:
http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etc...e_server_howto

Is it possible to install the base OS as the server and if I want a Desktop load the VM instance and switch to it?

If I was to use Virtualization to run multiple servers say eg 3 for security,

1) Apache/PHP/CGI, FTP
2) MYSQL/greenSQL
3) Mail Dovecot

How would you set this up?
(The Perfect Desktop - Fedora 10 or Debian Lenny as the base system.
a VM instances for each of the servers.)?

Would you need to configure a firewall for each VM instance? I ask as each instance would have it's own IP.

I want to use ISPCONFIG, is this even possible?

For a backup methodology would you just backup the VM instances image files? (I should have plenty of space for this)

OR should I scrap the whole idea and just go for:
A Perfect Desktop and one VM instance of The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny with ISPConfig?

I have a Dell 2950:
2 X Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz
4 Gb Ram (8 X 512Mb)
5 X HDD (160GB each) in Raid 5
1 X HDD ( 500Gb) for backup

One last Q.
How's ISPConfig 3 coming along it looks good. Any rough ideas on a final release date? (1 - 2 months)

Kind Regards
Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:50
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,578 Posts
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
As I will not use a Desktop very much but I need one (maybe every 1-2 months), and as I read your How To Install VMware Server On Debian 4.0 (Etch) at:
http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etc...e_server_howto

Is it possible to install the base OS as the server and if I want a Desktop load the VM instance and switch to it?
If you also need a desktop, I'd use Ubuntu (however, it's also possible to install a desktop on a Debian server).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
If I was to use Virtualization to run multiple servers say eg 3 for security,

1) Apache/PHP/CGI, FTP
2) MYSQL/greenSQL
3) Mail Dovecot

How would you set this up?
(The Perfect Desktop - Fedora 10 or Debian Lenny as the base system.
a VM instances for each of the servers.)?
Yes, one vm per server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
Would you need to configure a firewall for each VM instance? I ask as each instance would have it's own IP.
Depends on your security needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
I want to use ISPCONFIG, is this even possible?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
For a backup methodology would you just backup the VM instances image files? (I should have plenty of space for this)
If there's nothing important on the host, I'd just back up the VMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanos View Post
One last Q.
How's ISPConfig 3 coming along it looks good. Any rough ideas on a final release date? (1 - 2 months)
There's no release date yet, but it's around the corner.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot Log In after perfect desktop/perfect server setup jkrell HOWTO-Related Questions 3 22nd December 2008 07:43
Howtoforge the perfect Server(links) rini90 Installation/Configuration 0 14th December 2008 11:58
RE: Perfect Server - Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon nibbles HOWTO-Related Questions 5 28th January 2008 17:36
Setting up a backup mail server setup with two installations of ISPConfig zitch Tips/Tricks/Mods 7 30th December 2006 11:07
Email - Ueb-Miau mazhar Installation/Configuration 5 21st December 2005 11:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.