Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 7th February 2009, 10:39

Send a message via ICQ to DonAteloNow Send a message via MSN to DonAteloNow Send a message via Skype™ to DonAteloNow
Arrow ISP3: Apache fails to start if symlink /var/clients/clientX/webX/log is moved/changed

Dear all, and espacially Till and Falco,

First of all, I've to say big THANK YOU for you great job! I'm one of those really busy guys, who is learning a lot and taking only a very little role in help to others. Sorry for that. I'm planning to share my experience soon, because I took the challenge to migrate around 100 small business domains to ISPconfig 3.0.0.8 So, anyway, I must to write good tutorial at least on my native language, how to use it. But now I have one big issue:

By default, when you create the site in the panel, it makes folder called webX with subfolders cgi-bin, ssl, tmp, web and log which is link to folder /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/domainname.ltd. Also, by default, webFTP user is granted with all needed permissions to delete/move/rename this folder/link. It could happen accidentally as well. In that case, on next apache2 restart it fails to start. If you bring back default values, it starts normaly.

So my question is, how to tell apache not too check those links, or maybe is there a way to may those links with different user permissions? Or should I change those permissions manualy for every client? What would be the best choice, guys? maybe I missed small option somewhere?

And also, I would like to report about little bug I think it is bug, not me So, when you create the site, it's not showing up straight away on browser. Error page is appearing. You have to switch from SuPHP to Mod-PHP, and than back to SuPHP again, and after page is comming on browser.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my google English.
Sponsored Links
Old 7th February 2009, 10:59
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,321 Times in 4,174 Posts

Please report bugs to the bugtracker:

http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org
Old 7th February 2009, 19:06

Send a message via ICQ to DonAteloNow Send a message via MSN to DonAteloNow Send a message via Skype™ to DonAteloNow
Default Edit:

Is it possible that I asked lame question? I checked similiar thing on ISP2 and found, that renaming/moving of logs folder will make the same thing - web server will fail to start. Did I miss some ground Linux knowlegde? I don't understand the point of that. Sorry to disturb you, fellows.
Old 8th February 2009, 16:08
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,321 Times in 4,174 Posts

It is normal that apache fails if you move the logs folder.