Old 8th March 2006, 21:30

Send a message via ICQ to geniusiknowit Send a message via AIM to geniusiknowit Send a message via MSN to geniusiknowit Send a message via Yahoo to geniusiknowit
Default Installing Kubuntu via FTP

I've got a Vaio notebook. The FDD and CDROM are on the docking station. The CDROM is not bootable.
I tried installing Mandriva by booting from the FDD. It could not find the CDROM.
I (need to double-check this) tried booting from an MSDOS disk, but I don't think it was able to find the CDROM drive with that either. The CDROM drive works fine in windows.

Anyways, now I think Kubuntu sounds a little more exciting than Mandriva, so I've decided I want to install that.

I want to install Kubuntu via FTP. How would I do this (and would there be any issue setting up a dual-boot this way)?

Gracias.
Sponsored Links
Old 9th March 2006, 10:35
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

You must download the Kubuntu CD (there's no FDD...) and then hope that it recognizes your CD drive...
IF that doesn'T work you might consider trying SuSE - it normally has a very good hardware detection and lots of drivers.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 10th March 2006, 17:20

Send a message via ICQ to geniusiknowit Send a message via AIM to geniusiknowit Send a message via MSN to geniusiknowit Send a message via Yahoo to geniusiknowit

Turns out I had to enable "i.Link boot" in the BIOS, because the docking station's connection runs over the IEEE 1394.
Got Kubuntu installed off the disc. Learned about the "no root access" issue with Kubuntu. Tried to install Mandriva. It boots from the disc, but then tells me it can't find the CD-ROM drive. Brilliant. C'est la vie.
Guess I'll stick with Kubuntu for now.
Old 10th March 2006, 18:38
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

If you want root access in Kubuntu, log in as an unpriviledged user and then run this on the shell:
Code:
sudo passwd root
su

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: