Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 28th November 2008, 08:37

Default I am running Fedora 8 Perfect Server Setup... OK to upgrade to Fedora 10?

Hi. I am running Fedora 8 using the perfect server setup from HowtoForge. My PC does not have any weird specs, except that I have the nVidia display drivers installed. Oh, and it is 64-bit. My question is whether it is safe to upgrade to Fedora 10 using preupgrade. Any issues with doing this?
Sponsored Links
Old 29th November 2008, 19:10
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,581 Posts

I'm not sure if you can upgrade from 8 to 10. Maybe you have to upgrade from 8 to 9 first and then from 9 to 10.

I'm not sure if the NVIDIA drivers are a problem. The safest would be to uninstall them, perform the upgrade, and reinstall the newest NVIDIA drivers.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
jkrell (29th November 2008)
Old 29th November 2008, 19:13

The reason I never upgraded the server from 8 to 9 was because Xorg did not support the nVidia drivers (or something like that). So I am not sure doing that would be very safe. Maybe I should just burn a Fedora 10 DVD and try upgrading using the DVD? I just do not want to render the server inoperable by doing this, as it works fine right now.

I'll try doing it this way, but as you suggest, remove the nVidia drivers first, then perform the upgrade, then reinstall the drivers. I'll post back here when done (maybe not for a week or two)...
Old 9th December 2008, 16:13

Default Success on both Server and Desktop

Just reporting back. Preupgrade was a flop (even on the Fedora 9 desktop) and I will never use that method again. It failed to work out some dependencies and messed up my bootloader. So I downloaded the Fedora 10 install DVDs (i386 for the desktop and X86_64 for the server) and upgraded directly from the DVDs. The desktop upgrade went very smoothly. The only hitch was I had to reconnect the ethernet cable (the desktop uses a wireless connection) after the install, update kmod-ndiswrapper, and then disconnect and reboot -- at which point everything worked fine.

On the server, I uninstalled the nVidia driver, upgraded using the CD, and then reinstalled the nVidia driver. I do not know whether that was necessary, but it was easy enough to do. What was nice is all my settings were retained (presumably because the install left my xorg.conf untouched). Anyway, I had a few dependency problems to work out in my first "yum upgrade" but otherwise this went very smoothly.

For anyone who wants to learn from my mistakes, I would suggest just spending the time to download the install DVD and upgrade that way. It seems to go much more smoothly, and that way you always have a rescue disc close at hand in case you mess things up (which I tend to do from time to time).

Happy Holidays to all!

Last edited by jkrell; 9th December 2008 at 16:16.