The workaround described before did not work for me, netstat -tap output seems ok but when trying to use for example the smtp port I got an error concerning symbolic links (and such a symbolic link was part of the tip from "anonymous"). But nevertheless - after setting up the whole thing again two times it seems to work now. One problem was obviously that Debian Sarge in some cases doesn´t like ipopd using insecure connections, what was causing the "Unknown AUTHORIZATION state command" error. I found out that if you want to connect to ipopd using "pure" POP3 you have to create a file /etc/c-client.cf and fill in two lines:
I accept the risk
set disable-plaintext 0
Yes, you´ll need the first line, Sarge won´t believe you if trying without.
I think that my problems were primarily caused by this "security feature" of Debian Sarge. I can remember that first I used Uebimiau and Outlook (POP3), what could not work
without /etc/c-client.cf. Then I changed some options and tried again... nothing... changing again... surely I changed so much that when it came to try a secure connection with POP3s most of the options were changed and what should have been working before couldn´t anymore... because of me searching the error in the config files.
Possibly some deb package is changing this "strategy" of Sarge, so it would make sense, that some people have problems with their setup and others have not. I´ll keep an eye on this.
This blog entry saved me from staying awake the whole night:
And here a link were the c-client.cf-file is mentioned (Number 35):
Thanks again for the great help