Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 6th March 2006, 14:17

Hmm, thats not exactly what makes me quite happy, but since I wont spend all my time on this perhaps Im going to install courier and perhaps building myself a little extra script for keeping track of the mail quotas.

But before I do that: What about the comments on page 4 of the perfect debian sarge setup? There is mentioned to just do the following after setting up the postfix and security stuff (as far as I understood what "anonymous" wrote there):

Quote:
mkdir -p /var/spool/postfix/var/run
ln -s /var/run/saslauthd /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd
adduser postfix sasl
Im going to test that, but whats your opinion on this?
Sponsored Links
Old 6th March 2006, 20:15
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokuleo
Hmm, thats not exactly what makes me quite happy, but since I wont spend all my time on this perhaps Im going to install courier and perhaps building myself a little extra script for keeping track of the mail quotas.

But before I do that: What about the comments on page 4 of the perfect debian sarge setup? There is mentioned to just do the following after setting up the postfix and security stuff (as far as I understood what "anonymous" wrote there):

Im going to test that, but whats your opinion on this?
It has always been working for me like I described in the tutorial, without the comments.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 7th March 2006, 02:58

The workaround described before did not work for me, netstat -tap output seems ok but when trying to use for example the smtp port I got an error concerning symbolic links (and such a symbolic link was part of the tip from "anonymous"). But nevertheless - after setting up the whole thing again two times it seems to work now. One problem was obviously that Debian Sarge in some cases doesnt like ipopd using insecure connections, what was causing the "Unknown AUTHORIZATION state command" error. I found out that if you want to connect to ipopd using "pure" POP3 you have to create a file /etc/c-client.cf and fill in two lines:
Quote:
I accept the risk
set disable-plaintext 0
Yes, youll need the first line, Sarge wont believe you if trying without.

I think that my problems were primarily caused by this "security feature" of Debian Sarge. I can remember that first I used Uebimiau and Outlook (POP3), what could not work without /etc/c-client.cf. Then I changed some options and tried again... nothing... changing again... surely I changed so much that when it came to try a secure connection with POP3s most of the options were changed and what should have been working before couldnt anymore... because of me searching the error in the config files.

Possibly some deb package is changing this "strategy" of Sarge, so it would make sense, that some people have problems with their setup and others have not. Ill keep an eye on this.

This blog entry saved me from staying awake the whole night:
http://www.hostblogger.de/blog/archi...41-ipop3d.html

And here a link were the c-client.cf-file is mentioned (Number 35):
http://www.washington.edu/imap/docum...maprc.txt.html

Thanks again for the great help

Last edited by jokuleo; 7th March 2006 at 03:01.