Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 23rd November 2008, 15:39

Default ISPConfig - How to set DNS correctly?

I am very confused by this. I have a VPS from VPSLink, have installed CentOS, LAMP, ISPConfig. All seems OK, but how do I set DNS correctly?

I had set A record etc. in VPSLink panel before repointing domain to VPSLink nameservers. However, someone else said that was wrong and that ISPConfig handles it, so I should remove those records. I did, but surely they were wrong? How will the VPSLink nameservers know that testdomain.com should go to my server? Also it said in the guide from VPSLink that A records and so on should be set before setting nameservers for the domain to VPSLink's. Now I've deleted those records have I messed things up? Will I have to reset the records, point the domain back to the old nameservers, then back to the correct ones to have it resolve correctly?

Then in ISPConfig, what do I enter for ip of each site? Just the server ip every time? Also I saw when I created a new site in ISPConfig the DNS servers were by default just my primary domain, as in www.domainiusedtosetitup.com Is that right? The domain I entered as primary domain is not yet pointing to the server, since I wanted everything to work before I switch to minimize site downtime...

Any help greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd November 2008, 18:38

Nevermind, I figured it out. The A record for your provider must point to your server as I originally thought. You don't need to repoint domain to correct bad A record.

The ip for the site in ispconfig is just your server ip when co-hosting multiple sites on the same ip. Nameservers in ispconfig should be the nameservers of your server provider, unless you're running you're own nameservers. I think this is all accurate; certainly seems to work at any rate!