Old 7th November 2008, 10:38

Question ubuntu 8.10 encrypted lvm

Hello,

i have tried to install ubuntu 8.10 on an encrypted lvm using the alternate cd, it works so far BUT i have noticed that the installer does not fill the partitions with random data actually i am not sure about that, but from my experience with debian and encrypted lvm, the filling process with random data on 80 gb partition lasts at least 60-90 mins, and ubuntu does not even show that its being filled with random data, it somehow jumps over this step! After the installation process and the required reboot, when booting it requires the encryption password (as expected) and does not boot without it - so it looks as it is encrypted...

my question is: how "real" is the encryption of 8.10, does the installer encrypt at all, or its just faked one, the encryption process looks very different from debian's one. Can anybody please explain this to me

Thanks!
Sponsored Links