Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th October 2008, 20:56

Default Smtp as realy from isp good/bad

The best way to describe my issue is this way. I have setup relay in main.cf to use my ISP's relay server. This seems to work fine because I can send/rec emails from both roundcube and my email client Outlook using ISPConfig users i.e. web1_user@a site dot com.

I set the pop3 from within ISPConfig correct i.e. mail.my web site dot com and when i go to roundcube i can send/rec to any and all. I go to Outlook and i also have setup pop3 to hit mail.my web site dot com with the ISP's relay which uses SSL/port465. I have included that info in my main.cf and all is good.

Okay, i said all of that so that i can get pass misunderstanding on my issue which is this:
On my Server running ISPConfig i have many sites. One is an SMF forum script run by PHP/MySQL. When a user signs up, they never receive the welcome message. As a matter of fact emails will not send/rec from within any hosted site.
My maillog error indicates that i have a problem relaying from my ISP's smtp server because it is unable to get an EHLO handshake. Now remember that it works outside of the websites. Therefore my issue must be related to php email or what ever causes the script to pass down the command to send a result to a user on the forum.

Any ideas out there? Is it something in my PHP.INI file or some mis config in php?

thanks,

Happz

Last edited by happz; 29th October 2008 at 20:57. Reason: bad color "lime" hard to read...sorry
Sponsored Links
Old 30th October 2008, 16:24
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,582 Posts

Can you post the exact error messages?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 30th October 2008, 23:23

Default this is error generated if i click "forgot password" on my site..

relay=fmailhost.isp.att.net[204.127.217.18]:465, delay=125, delays=4.4/0/120/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with fmailhost.isp.att.net[204.127.217.18] while performing the EHLO handshake)

Now, if i go to my https://sitename.net:81/roundcubemail/ i can send and receive. oh, one other big factor. From the web site i am using as an example. if i sign up on that forum with an email that is one from any of my sites hosted on this ispconfig server in question....they will appear. that is great news for me but my users out there don't have email accounts on my server ....

It is a bit troublesome to me at this point. what can i test to get an answer? (Remember that if i use the fmailhost.isp.att.net in my Outlook Client as the smtp server it will work)

thanks.
Old 31st October 2008, 17:39
Super Moderator

Do you have another relayhost that you can test with?

Old 31st October 2008, 21:50

Default I have tried another Business Class relay with same company

Hey Falko,

At work, we have a Business Class DSL account with the same company (ATT) and i did use that user/name in my postfix main.cf but it gives the same error.
Is there another one i can try that you know of?
Old 1st November 2008, 17:56
Super Moderator

Some freemailers allow you to relay through their servers - maybe Yahoo?