Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 30th July 2008, 04:11

Default Vitrual Hosting with ProFtpd & MySql on Fedora 9

just a quick question on the "Virtual Hosting with Proftpd and MySql on Fedora 9"...
i followed the Fedora 9 Perfect server setup and installed ISPConfig after that. Then i wanted to change the ProFtpd to use MySQL by following the above mentioned tutorial; went back on ISPConfig and created a FTP user for a website but i can't log in. I receive the 530 login invalid. I think ISPConfig gets confused on what database to create the ftp-user? Is this correct?
Then i created the same tables but in the database i use for ISPConfig but still receive the 530 error.
How can i integrate ProFtpd to use MySql and be able to create ftp-users on ISPConfig and log in?

Thank you,
Raz.
Sponsored Links
Old 30th July 2008, 14:07
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,256 Times in 4,121 Posts

You can not use ISPConfig with the Virtual Hosting with Proftpd and MySql on Fedora 9 setup. FTP is already configured for ISPConfig when you followed the perfect setup guide.

Quote:
How can i integrate ProFtpd to use MySql and be able to create ftp-users on ISPConfig and log in?
You cant.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:46

oh.. so.. it's either I set-up the ProFtpd to use MySql for virtual users, which implies i will have to create each user manually, either i let ProFtpd be used by ISPConfig, and those users created by ISPConfig will be placed in ISPConfig's database, but those would be system users.

Now, i have asked this because in a previous installation with Perfect Setup, ProFtpd worked. What i mean is i could upload files to some directories (root folder.. others) but i couldn't CHMOD them. It said permission denied. How do i have to set this up so when i create an user within ISPConfig to be able to CHMOD his folders?

Thank you so much for your help,
Raz.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Now, i have asked this because in a previous installation with Perfect Setup, ProFtpd worked. What i mean is i could upload files to some directories (root folder.. others) but i couldn't CHMOD them. It said permission denied. How do i have to set this up so when i create an user within ISPConfig to be able to CHMOD his folders?
Just allow chmod in proftpd.conf, it is denied by default. But thats nothing ispconfig specific and applies to any default proftpd installation.

Changing proftpd to the virtual setup messed the configuration up now, you will have to undo very step rom the virtual proftpd setup.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:12

i am at work now and my server's at home, off. but I am pretty sure i checked for Allow CHMOD in proftpd.conf and it was allowed. Still, did not work. The only option i had was to log in as root on the server and manually change folder permissions.
And if I am not mistaken, the Allow CHMOD option was not in proftpd.conf but in proftpd_ispconfig.conf which was included in proftpd.conf.
Old 31st July 2008, 07:40

Default CHMOD in /html directory but not in other folders

CHMOD was Allowed from default in /etc/proftpd.conf:
Code:
<Limit SITE_CHMOD>
    AllowAll
  </Limit>
It doesn't work to change permissions for the folders in root dir (/) but you can CHMOD inside the /html directory created in the root folder.
Also i created other subfolders but can't change permissions for those.

help please.

Thanks guys.
Old 31st July 2008, 07:44
Super Moderator

It is the intention that you are not able to change permissions in the root folder, as these files are not owned by the web administrator. If you would change them, you wold mess up the configuration and e.g. the mail deliver will fail or apache might refuse to start.
Old 31st July 2008, 07:48

yes.. i figured it out. sorry about that.

my post above is not 100% precise.. i am able to CHMOD the folders created by me through the FTP client only!

what needs to be done so i can change permissions on those folders and files?
thanks.
Old 31st July 2008, 08:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
As I pointed out above. You can not do this without messing up the configuration.
Old 31st July 2008, 14:42

Quote:
i was talking about folders inside the /root/html directory.
I can only change permission for folders i create myself but not for the ones i uploaded (e.g: my own website folders).
How do i get to be able to change permission on those? I think it has to do something with .. ownership under Linux? But how?

thanks,
raz.