Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 16th August 2008, 09:04

Default Help with The Perfect Xen 3.1.0 Setup For Debian Etch (i386)"

Additional help with "The Perfect Xen 3.1.0 Setup For Debian Etch (i386)"

I have followed these guidelines and have successfully created a working Dom0 and several working DomU's. Thanks kindly for the info.

I have one problem, one of the DomU's I wish to install asterisk on and have been unable to due to the lack of available linux-headers for the 2.6.18-xen kernel. I am not yet savvy enough to create custom Dom0 and DomU kernels to something that I can find headers for. I have searched the internet for hours trying to find a linux-headers-2.6.18-xen with no luck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If I am in the wrong forum for this type of question I apologize, adn please direct me to the correct forum.

Last edited by egeex; 16th August 2008 at 09:06. Reason: Forgot something.
Sponsored Links
Old 16th August 2008, 09:27

Default Sorry to waste your time...fixed this

I apologize for the waste of time.

I didn't think of it earlier but, I just went forward with the compile without having the headers and its running like a champ.
Old 17th August 2008, 01:39

Default I was mistaken

Turns out it is not running like a champ. The missing kernel headers are preventing proper zaptel install. I am going to run a strictly IP based system with no cards so the only thing I can not do at this time on the system is Meetme.

Any ideas other than compiling custom kernels?
Old 17th August 2008, 11:14

Hi egeex,

Please read this article: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/320 , it should get you up & running. Just do these steps in your domU using the "xm console".

Grtz,
Thanis
Old 20th August 2008, 00:43

Default thanks for the reply

unfortunately that did not work out.
i was however able to get it up and running using this http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etc...ian_repository as a guide with some modifications and different packages. was able to compile zaptel in domu still had a few issues though but got it to work for VM and Meetme. i then went to try and take it a step further by installing an X100P card to use on domu. was able to use pciback.hide=(xx:xx.x) to hide form dom0 and used pci = [ 'xx:xx.x' ] in domu config. lspci on domu showed Wildcard X100p however address always comes up as 0000:00:0.0 zaptel would see it upon installation however could not get card to respond and never got /dev/zap device to get created. so i am still taking a break on that project for a cpl days.
anyone with xen and asterisk on debian with completely working zap, id love a pointer or two.

regards,

matt