Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 4th July 2008, 05:08

Red face How to Boot from CD? The Perfect Desktop - Kubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron)

Hello Falko,

Related to your how-to article here;

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...buntu-8.04-lts

i'm embarrassed to say that being able to make either a bootable or "live cd" as evaded me entirely. i would love to ditch Windows entirely and permanently, but i can't even seem to start the Kubuntu install.

What am i doing wrong please?

i downloaded the kubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso file to my x86 Windows desktop system using Firefox from here;

http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

then using Nero i burned (at 8X) and verified the file to CD-R.

But when i try to run or boot from the CD (and there have been several other Linux distributions/versions, on other x86 Windows machines that i've tried as well), absolutely nothing happens...it just boots straight in to Windows. The CD drive barely blips, let alone try to spin up or read.

This has got to be a perfectly obvious problem...so sorry to be a bother with it...but i appreciate your attention.

I'm hoping that any updates/replies that happen to his thread will also come to my email, but in any case i'll check back here soon...as i am am DONE with Windows forever and really need a good stable solution. And no dual-boot thing either.

Regards,

jorgia
Sponsored Links
Old 4th July 2008, 07:01
Local Meanie

here's how you burn an ISO: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

and then to boot from it, you have to set in the BIOS to boot from cd first and not from the harddisk.

and besides, Linux is not a drop-in replacement for windows... it is different... it has it twirks also... don't except it to be just like windows but better.

At least in the beginning I would recommend to dual-boot - as there might be hardware that isn't supported by linux in your computer.

Auto-Install Script for ISPConfig and Horde on a Vanilla Debian Stable

Need more Repos for Ubuntu? Repository Generator
Need more Repos for Debian? Debian Repository Generator
The Following User Says Thank You to sjau For This Useful Post:
jorgia (5th July 2008)
Old 5th July 2008, 16:51

Thank you sjau...that worked perfectly!