Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st June 2008, 20:15

research on errors learns me this
/var/spool/mqueue is not owned by user 108 !

user 108 does not exist. the dir is owned by user root en group root

Could not read directory /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner
This directory does not exist (in subsys I only have bastille-firewall as a sub dir) and I can;t add the directory ,even though I did the su command

Setup:
Dell Power Edge SC440
Ubuntu 8.04
ISPConfig
Webmin 1.420
Sponsored Links
Old 1st June 2008, 20:23

Last error is /var/spool/mqueue is not owned by user 108

I changed the conf file so that the other error is gone as the directory it was point to did not exists.

In webmin I can look at Mailscanner but it says it is not running, when trying to start it it doesnot change.

strange!!

Setup:
Dell Power Edge SC440
Ubuntu 8.04
ISPConfig
Webmin 1.420
Old 1st June 2008, 23:03

I changed the owner and grp of the mentioned queue to postfix

(stop mailscanner before you try this)

Now I get the error

Could not test file ownership abilities on /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner.ownertest.18545, please delete the file

The file can't be found in this dir. hmmm??

Setup:
Dell Power Edge SC440
Ubuntu 8.04
ISPConfig
Webmin 1.420
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:52

Harry,

Have you disabled apparmor? Also, do the following and your system should create the missing directories at boot up with the proper permissions.

Edit /etc/rc.local and add the following before the exit line:

Code:

mkdir /var/run/MailScanner
mkdir /var/lock/subsys
mkdir /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner
chown -R postfix:postfix /var/run/MailScanner
chown -R postfix:postfix /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner
/etc/init.d/postfix restart
/etc/init.d/mailscanner restart
After you've done that, reboot your system and see what happens. If you're still getting errors, please post them here.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:08

Hi Rocky

I did both disables apprmor and put the lins in the etc/rc.local file.

Reboot

Jun 2 14:01:47 ubuntu freshclam[6723]: See the FAQ at http://www.clamav.net/support/faq for an explanation.
Jun 2 14:01:47 ubuntu freshclam[6723]: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
Jun 2 14:01:47 ubuntu freshclam[6723]: Local version: 0.91.2 Recommended version: 0.93
Jun 2 14:01:47 ubuntu freshclam[6723]: DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq
Jun 2 14:01:47 ubuntu freshclam[6723]: main.inc is up to date (version: 46, sigs: 231834, f-level: 26, builder: sven)
Jun 2 14:01:47 ubuntu freshclam[6723]: daily.inc is up to date (version: 7321, sigs: 75070, f-level: 26, builder: ccordes)
Jun 2 14:01:47 ubuntu freshclam[6723]: --------------------------------------

All error messages seem to have solved.

Now I still need to get Imap back up, can't connect. And telnet is also still disconnecting

Setup:
Dell Power Edge SC440
Ubuntu 8.04
ISPConfig
Webmin 1.420
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:13

Ok, so is postfix working or are you still getting errors in your mail.log? Don't worry about the clamav messages.
hvrossum (2nd June 2008)
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:51

I had that problem trying to load it on an 8.04 jeos setup. I didn't comment out the 1st and 4th check_dir lines and instead changed the user and group to 'postfix' and 'www-data' and the set the MailScanner.conf 'Run as Group' to 'www-data' as well. That fixed the missing /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner problem and both MailScanner and postfix start without errors now. I'm not completely finished with the rest of Rocky's setup so not totally sure I didn't break something else with the Run As Group change but don't think so. Rocky would probably know. I also edited the init.d version of mailscanner rather than going at it through the S20 link under /etc/rc2.d -- same difference. So far that's the only snag I hit -- good instructions!
Old 3rd June 2008, 00:59

Glad to hear!

The Run As Group was left as postfix for those users who opt not to install MailWatch. It should not be a problem at all to change it to www-data.

mdumdei, I'm assuming you didn't have to do certain steps, but can you fill me in? I'll update the guide with them to save people some time when installing.

Rocky
Old 4th June 2008, 02:33

jeos doesn't load apparmor so I didn't have to take that out. Other than that, I think it I followed everything else as written for 8.04 server -- other than the modifying the check_dirs instead of commenting them. That eliminated the need to load anything into rc.local.

I have a question now though. I'm working on the do_message_ops.php code and hit the line:

if ($quarantined=quarantine_list_items($id,RPC_ONLY)) {

Is that a single '=' there like the if is evaluating for a non-zero value from quarantine_list_items (how it is now) or a double == for a compare?? I looked around in the forum and saw no complaints so am assuming it is correct as is.
Old 4th June 2008, 03:18

This is exactly what I have:
Code:
 if($quarantined = quarantine_list_items($id,RPC_ONLY)) {