Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 23rd May 2008, 20:32

Default Replace Courier-Imap with Dovecot?

All,

I've had big problems with courier-imap on my server (following this guide ) and need to find an alternative.

Courier-imap is just not reliable enough in my setup. My clients are almost exclusively imap users. When courier-imap starts up, it works as expected. However, within a short time (2 hours to 2 days), imap requests start to timeout, and the daemon stops responding. The only course of action is to restart the daemon.

I've attempted to troubleshoot, but found very little help anywhere. The problem appears to be due to excessive CLOSE_WAITs taking up all of my available connections. My config is set to 400 max connections even though I've only got about 20 mail users on my server. (related thread here)

I need to replace courier with a mail server that works, switch to a 3rd party provider for mail, or figure out how to fix courier.

Of course I'd rather fix courier, but at this point I'm ready to replace it.. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Caio
Sponsored Links
Old 24th May 2008, 12:57
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

You could try dovecot, but I'm not sure how to configure it to work with your setup...

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: