Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Closed Thread

Old 27th February 2006, 00:20
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr19026
One question then though; when I set up users they also are assigned a quota. What if I do not want a user to have a quota. Do I set the number to 0?
Yes, use 0.

Quote:
Additionally, how do I change a user's password? Would this be something I'd install PostfixAdmin for?
You can use phpMyAdmin for this task.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Sponsored Links
Old 27th February 2006, 02:14

I let users change their password using Squirrelmail with teh change_sqlpass plugin. There are multiple ways you could do this...
Old 27th February 2006, 18:28

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Yes, use 0.
Excellent, thanks!

Quote:
You can use phpMyAdmin for this task.
Well, I can...But I want to enable my users to do this themselves (as I tend to be a bit lazy ) SO I tried the change_sqlpasswd plugin for squirrelmail but as I needed to install the compatibility plugin that blew up something in the PHP code. So that's a no go.

My PostfixAdmin looks interesting as it is a frontend that allws me to easily add new users, aliases etc. without having to log in to phpMyAdmin. And it allows users to change their password and forwarding as well.
Old 1st March 2006, 11:07

I should've known better than to mess around with integrating two HOWTOs about this subject. So I used the one that works, this one My compliments, your HOWTOs are of great quality and work really well.

Few questions though:
- On Ubuntu 5.10, when I do an apt-get upgrade it tells me it wants to upgrade postfix. Is my assumption correct that this would overwrite the installed version which has the quota patch? And if so, is there a way in which I can exclude postfix from the updates/upgrades?
- Changing a user's encrypted password using phpMyAdmin. As I cannot just go in and plug another password in there, how do I do this for an encrypted password?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st March 2006, 14:13
Super Moderator

Quote:
- On Ubuntu 5.10, when I do an apt-get upgrade it tells me it wants to upgrade postfix. Is my assumption correct that this would overwrite the installed version which has the quota patch?
Yes.
Quote:
And if so, is there a way in which I can exclude postfix from the updates/upgrades?
You can do that with apt-pinning:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...pt-get.en.html
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
http://www.argon.org/~roderick/apt-pinning.html

Quote:
- Changing a user's encrypted password using phpMyAdmin. As I cannot just go in and plug another password in there, how do I do this for an encrypted password?
It's explained here: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_po...ota_courier_p5

Old 3rd March 2006, 00:19

Well I finally have a working mail server Excellent HOWTO! And thanks for your help.

I do have a question though, when trying to send e-mail to an external domain it works when I use Squirrelmail. Next I have set up the exact same account on Thunderbird.

When sending an e-mail to the same external address I get the error message that Relay Access is denied. The mail is not sent.

/var/log/mail.log shows the following:
Mar 3 00:04:10 blabla postfix/smtpd[30093]: connect from bla.bla.net[10.0.0.150]
Mar 3 00:04:10 blabla postfix/smtpd[30093]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bla.bla.net[10.0.0.150]: 554 <wr19026@xyz.nl>: Relay access denied; from=<wr19026@bla.net> to=<wr19026@xyz.nl> proto=ESMTP helo=<[10.0.0.150]>
Mar 3 00:04:19 blabla postfix/smtpd[30093]: lost connection after RCPT from
bla.bla.net[10.0.0.150]
Mar 3 00:04:19 blabla postfix/smtpd[30093]: disconnect from bla.bla.net[10.0.0.150]

This is what's in my /etc/postfix/main.cf:
# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP ready
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

myhostname = bla.bla.net
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mydestination = bla.bla.net, localhost, localhost.localdomain
relayhost = mailrelay.direct-adsl.nl
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = all
virtual_alias_domains =
virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf, proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email
.cf
virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_use_tls = yes
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key
transport_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_transports.cf
virtual_create_maildirsize = yes
virtual_mailbox_extended = yes
virtual_mailbox_limit_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailbox_limit_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit_override = yes
virtual_maildir_limit_message = "The user you are trying to reach is over quota."
virtual_overquota_bounce = yes
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtu
al_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps $relo
cated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
receive_override_options = no_address_mappings

I've seen the suggestion to edit the /etc/postfix/local-host-names file and that may solve the issue, but what about POP3 access from outside my network? That wouldn't work then would it?

Another piece of information that might be useful is that my router does not support loopback. So on my LAN I have to define the IMAP server name as 10.0.0.x

Any suggestions? Your help is much appreciated.

Last edited by wr19026; 3rd March 2006 at 00:30. Reason: additional info
Old 3rd March 2006, 10:16
Super Moderator

Quote:
/var/log/mail.log shows the following:
Mar 3 00:04:10 blabla postfix/smtpd[30093]: connect from bla.bla.net[10.0.0.150]
Mar 3 00:04:10 blabla postfix/smtpd[30093]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bla.bla.net[10.0.0.150]: 554 <wr19026@xyz.nl>: Relay access denied; from=<wr19026@bla.net> to=<wr19026@xyz.nl> proto=ESMTP helo=<[10.0.0.150]>
Mar 3 00:04:19 blabla postfix/smtpd[30093]: lost connection after RCPT from
bla.bla.net[10.0.0.150]
Mar 3 00:04:19 blabla postfix/smtpd[30093]: disconnect from bla.bla.net[10.0.0.150]
You must enable something like "Server requires authentication." in your email client.

Old 3rd March 2006, 10:47

Quote:
You must enable something like "Server requires authentication." in your email client.
I tried that in Thunderbird (Tools -> Account Settings -> Server Settings -> Security Settings -> Use secure authentication) but then it completely refuses access.

So, here's where I am at now: I can read and write e-mail, but I cannot save copies to Sent etc. when using Thunderbird from outside my LAN. Outside my LAN I use a different SMTP server by the way.

From inside my LAN I cannot send e-mails due to the error mentioned earlier. It seems that my SMTP server is refusing connections from other machines than localhost.

Could it be that it has something to do with this line:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination

Last edited by wr19026; 3rd March 2006 at 12:30. Reason: Additional testing done
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:42
Super Moderator

If your clients are within the mynetworks value in /etc/postfix/main.cf, then they are allowed to send without authentication. OTherwise you must enable "Server requires authentication." in your email client. In Outlook you do it like this: http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/relay/outlook-config.html There must be a similar setting in Thunderbird.

Quote:
Outside my LAN I use a different SMTP server by the way.
Then your sending problem has to do with the different SMTP server.

Old 3rd March 2006, 17:19

Quote:
If your clients are within the mynetworks value in /etc/postfix/main.cf, then they are allowed to send without authentication.
Bingo! That must be it! The howto specifies 127.0.0.0/8. So now it makes sense why it was a bit wonky

Thanks again!
Closed Thread