Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st May 2008, 15:54

Default Bind/DNS - all external sites, so why bother?

Since I'm trying to set up all my web sites (about 5 or 6) all as external web sites via one IP address, I'm wondering why I would have to specify any DNS entries, especially DNS MX records?
I'm assuming Bind will be just a caching server, forwarding everything (queries) to the ISP DNS server.
Hence the question about ISPConfig and it asking "add to DNS" for certain items and MX records when I add a site, does it really have any effect? Is it used for internal forwarding for email, or is it just used for "Intranet" access (which there would be none except for ISPConfig)

My external web names all have DNS A and MX records pointing to the one address I plan to use for this web server. No issues accessing anything (so far testing)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 1st May 2008, 16:29

For me the DNS function of ISPconfig is very important, because I use the same server (with 2 IP addresses) for NS, web and mail. [I love this function very much....]

Definitely it may not be important for your case. [just like some of my friends who use 2 different servers for Names, several servers for mail and several servers for http -- they just don't bother about the DNS function of ISPconfig]
The Following User Says Thank You to createch For This Useful Post:
sagor (1st May 2008)