Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 15th May 2008, 15:05

ooops sorry didn't saw the update.php file
about mydns-ng as soon as I have some time I'll try to compile and use it with ispconfig and I'll let you know if it work out of the box
Sponsored Links
Old 15th May 2008, 15:52
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,321 Times in 4,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobonov
about mydns-ng as soon as I have some time I'll try to compile and use it with ispconfig and I'll let you know if it work out of the box
Thanks, that would be great.

I've read today trough their mailing lists and it seems as if they want to change the database structure within the next pre releases but it sould stay compatible with mydns.

I will try to add the new mydns-ng features when they release a stable version.

Does anyone know another good and stable DNS server with mysql backend? Which is at best even available as package for the major linux distributions?
Old 16th May 2008, 17:13

I made a ubuntu package for the latest stable mydns-ng version (1.2.7.1 2008-02-23 02:10). It install anyway as mydns and ispconfig recognize the service.
The problem is that I couldn't configure it since the ispconfig DNS configuration panel do not allow me to select a server, the select is empty therefore I can't add a zone. I select a server in others panels as the select is populated.
Problem
I wanted to update with the svn.tar.gz version and to test also there but no update.php script in it. :-(

So I went directly to the get it form the svn.
here everiting is fine but couldn't run either the install or the upgrade script because it say that ispconfig2 is installed.
I looked at the code and it simply check for
Code:
if(is_dir('/root/ispconfig') || is_dir('/home/admispconfig')) {
        die('This software can not be installed on a server wich runs ISPConfig 2.x.');
}
So it is simply impossible to upgrade a beta version since it only check for the presence of the configuration directory but not for the version.
Commented the code and went on with a fresh install (already un-installed the previous version) and now the server select under DNS tab is populated.

Using the server as dns I can resolve the base domain (mydomain.it) but couldn't resolve third level domain like www.mydomain.it

I configured as follow and as far as I remember dns con figuration it should be fine:
Zone
Server: Server
Client: XXXX
Zone (SOA): mydomain.it
NS: ns.mydomain.it
Email: postmaster.mydomain.it
Refresh: 28800 Seconds
Retry: 7200 Seconds
Expire: 604800 Seconds
Minimum: 86400 Seconds
TTL: 86400 Seconds
Xfer (IP): Allow zone transfers to this IP
Active: X

And there are the following records:
Code:
Active  	Type  		Name  		Data  	 

Yes 		A 		www 		public.ip.address
Yes 		CNAME 		mail 		www 
Yes 		MX 		mydomain.it 	mail.mydomain.it
Yes 		NS 		mydomain.it 	ns.mydomain.it
So resuming form remote connection using the server as dns I can correctly ping mydomain.it but I could not ping www.mydomain.it.
Running mydns in verbose (mydns -v) mode I have the following:

Code:
.......... IN A www.mydomain.it. REFUSED Zone_not_found 1 0 0 0 LOG N QUERY ""
.......... IN A www.mydomain.it. REFUSED Zone_not_found 1 0 0 0 LOG Y QUERY ""
Did I configured something wrongly or mydns is not getting correctly the table schema?
Old 16th May 2008, 17:16

Send a message via MSN to mphayesuk

Just installed it and what a difference, well done on all the hard work, the only thing to try and do now is an easy or step by step guide on moving data from v2 to the new system.

But a big well done and it looks great.
Old 16th May 2008, 17:36
Super Moderator

Quote:
So I went directly to the get it form the svn.
here everiting is fine but couldn't run either the install or the upgrade script because it say that ispconfig2 is installed.
I looked at the code and it simply check for
Code:

if(is_dir('/root/ispconfig') || is_dir('/home/admispconfig')) { die('This software can not be installed on a server wich runs ISPConfig 2.x.'); }

So it is simply impossible to upgrade a beta version since it only check for the presence of the configuration directory but not for the version.
I dont know what you exactly did, but ISPConfig 3 does not use these two directories and if they are used, ispconfig 2 is installed on your system and you can not install ISPConfig 2 and 3 together on the same machine.

I use the update script daily, it works just fine. ISPConfig 3 never uses /root/ispconfig or /home/admispconfig, so maybe you created them manually?

Quote:
Did I configured something wrongly or mydns is not getting correctly the table schema?
Please post the config file of mydns-ng. you will have to point mydns-ng to the ispconfig database and tell the software which tables to use, the installer is doing this for mydns by altering the config file.
Old 16th May 2008, 17:40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphayesuk
Just installed it and what a difference, well done on all the hard work, the only thing to try and do now is an easy or step by step guide on moving data from v2 to the new system.

But a big well done and it looks great.
The systems are so different, so a migration will not be easy. I guess that the major point will be to write a script that connects to the ispconfig 2 database, reads all the information about websites, resellers, clients etc and writes them in the ispconfig 3 database on the other server. Maybe the script can also copy the website data and mailboxes into a tar.gz and a second script can move the data on the new server to the correct new locations.
Old 17th May 2008, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
I dont know what you exactly did, but ISPConfig 3 does not use these two directories and if they are used, ispconfig 2 is installed on your system and you can not install ISPConfig 2 and 3 together on the same machine.

I use the update script daily, it works just fine. ISPConfig 3 never uses /root/ispconfig or /home/admispconfig, so maybe you created them manually?
I installed ispconfig beta on a newly installed server.
Then tried to update using the svn.tar.gz version which didn't have any script (either install.php or update.php) then by downloading the current svn using svn directly which was ok.
The svn version had both update and install script but both stopped saying that I had version 2 installed. I think the beta version created the directory under /root, since I never installed ispconfig2 in my life.

About mydns problem I made an error in configuring the domain, I forgot to put dot . at the end of the domain in the zone configuration

Made some test and it seem to work properly.
So the new mydns-ng till version 1.2.7 works out of the box.
Old 17th May 2008, 22:06
Super Moderator

I guess you accidently installed a beta version of ISPConfig 2 first, as we do not publish any svn.tar.gz versions of ISPConfig 3. This explains also that you did not find the install scripts.

Quote:
So the new mydns-ng till version 1.2.7 works out of the box.
Thank you for testing this.
Old 18th May 2008, 09:51

Quote:
accidently installed a beta version of ISPConfig 2
Yes that was my error. When I tried to update the beta 3.0 I firstly downloaded the svn tar.gz from the website. I saw the first link saying version 2 and I was sure (obviously I didn't read properly) the second link was for the version 3.

Now one more thing about version 3.
Now I am trying to personalize a site configuration. I setted up the virtual host and it works. I tried to use the "Apache directives" field under options.
I filled with some and saved it but the virtualhost file do not get modified.
Is it still incomplete?
Old 18th May 2008, 15:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Now I am trying to personalize a site configuration. I setted up the virtual host and it works. I tried to use the "Apache directives" field under options.
I filled with some and saved it but the virtualhost file do not get modified.
Is it still incomplete?
I just had a look at the sources and it is already implemented. I will have to debug this, added it to the bugtracker.