Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th April 2008, 21:18
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,412 Times in 4,255 Posts

Quote:
is it final count of words in web interface ? i want to start translation
No, the language files are not complete yet, a bunch of error messages is still missing. It is better to wait with translations for the next beta release, I will try to complete the english language files until then.
Sponsored Links
Old 29th April 2008, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
No, the language files are not complete yet, a bunch of error messages is still missing. It is better to wait with translations for the next beta release, I will try to complete the english language files until then.
I am not from England or USA but i can help with english translation. No probl.
Just send PM or reply
Old 30th April 2008, 14:33

nice work gents. im gonna toss this on my test server tonight and ill report findings
Old 1st May 2008, 00:32

do you have a tutorial for the "perfect setup" on Debian etch for a ISPConfig 3 server ? (for mydns, pureftpd, maildrop, etc.. which are different than ISPConfig 2)

Thanks
Old 1st May 2008, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_spy
do you have a tutorial for the "perfect setup" on Debian etch for a ISPConfig 3 server ? (for mydns, pureftpd, maildrop, etc.. which are different than ISPConfig 2)

Thanks

its actually in a text file if you download and extract from the op

also, till, can you caps the "city" to "City" under ->system->users
to match the rest of the titles?
Old 10th May 2008, 15:10

Why not make some software, like DNS, optional? When I installed ISPConfig 2I had to install Bind just to fulfill the requirement, although I didn't intend to use it.
Similar for the very tight requirement on certain software for IMAP and FTP. AFAIK dovecot and vsftpd can also support virtual users. I would prefer being able to use these instead of what you chose. A web interface should be a web interface and not a strict determinator for the hosting platform. Is there a chance you support these as well? As information: pureftpd and courier are both *not* available as distribution packages in at least one of the major commercial distributions: RHEL.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:53

MyDNS DNS Server
Postfix virtual Users
Courier Virtual Users
pureftpd with virtual Users
Maildrop as LDA

Just a short question... is this the final list for supported software or it will be expanded with some other as well?

I am asking this because it seem that the current ubuntu (hardy 8.04) does not support any more mydns, at least there is no package avail even if in debian repository is still there.
Going to the mydns website I saw that it seem that is not developed any more, or at least is changed in mydns-ng. Is not very clear. On the website there is nothing, last update was in 2006 but in user mailing list there is a post about an updated version in which is more or less clear that it is evolved mydns-ng.

Probably ispconfig does not need any change in order to support mydns-ng (if it is only a fllowup develop on mydns) but anyway i still have the same problem, no package for hardy for both mydns and mydns-ng
Old 14th May 2008, 18:00
Super Moderator

Are you sure that you enabled all ubuntu repositories? I know that mydns is available in Ubuntu 7.10, but I did not install it on 8.04 yet. If mydns-ng is 100% compatible with mydns, it should work, but I did not test it yet.

If you dont find a package, you will be able to most likely compile it.
Old 15th May 2008, 07:39

As you can see no package for hardy
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?su...keywords=mydns
In debian repository is still there.
I saw about mydns-ng but (beside compiling it) it is quite new and, as far as I know, no distribution support it yet.
So it is a bit strange to rely on a piece of software which is not maintained any more or on another piece which is still not included in any distribution.
I was already planing to make the package on my own, but compiling and making package it is not exactly for everyone.
Anyway I went on in the installation without problem, it didn't stop complain for mydns missing, but at the end it tried to restart it.
Now I have a couple of notice:
even if mydns is not avail ispconfig still present me the dns part, but ispconfig know it is not avail (under monitor it is offline), I think it should at least disable the part of the interface regarding offline service.
Another question is: next beta/rc will have an upgrade script or manual procedure for upgrade?
Another think that can be useful is a "fix configuration" script, which will only fix services configuration files, without touching database tables.
This come very handy in case some configuration file are overwrite by a software upgrade.
P.S.
About mydns I posted a couple of question in ubuntu forums to see if anyone know why there is no package.

Addendum:
2 minutes after this post I saw that someone answered to my question about the package
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/u...question/33089
Quote:
Thanks for the question.

The mydns project is orphaned and is not part of unstable and experimental in debian anymore. It has been dropped after gutsy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bobonov; 15th May 2008 at 07:46.
Old 15th May 2008, 11:00
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobonov
Another question is: next beta/rc will have an upgrade script or manual procedure for upgrade?
This Beta has already a update script, it is called update.php and it is in the same folder then the install.php script.

Download the latest RElease as tar.gz or from SVN and then run the update.php script to update your installation.

Quote:
Another think that can be useful is a "fix configuration" script, which will only fix services configuration files, without touching database tables.
This come very handy in case some configuration file are overwrite by a software upgrade.
run the update.php script

Quote:
P.S.
About mydns I posted a couple of question in ubuntu forums to see if anyone know why there is no package.

Addendum:
2 minutes after this post I saw that someone answered to my question about the package
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/u...question/33089
ISPConfig 3 is a very modular software, the interface supports any DNS server, it is just nescessary to write a plugin which creates the config files for the specific DNS server.

At the moment, we support only mydns as this dns server does not need any config files at all and it works right out of the database. As far as I know, there are no known problems with mydns, so there is no problem if you use it. We will see if mydns-ng will pick up the development and gets included in debian and ubuntu.