Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 14th November 2007, 12:24

Default ispconfig proftpd login error 503 solution

I did a fresh install of ISPConfig on Fedora 8, following the Howtoforge 'Fedora 8 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig'.

After creating a client and site, I was not then able to FTP to the site, and kept getting login error 503. I had previously had it working OK on another box, so didn't know what the problem was. I searched forum after forum, and none of them solved it.

I finally solved it after simply uninstalling and re-installing the proftpd package using the following steps:

yum remove proftpd
yum install proftpd
chkconfig --levels 235 proftpd on
/etc/init.d/proftpd start

The last 2 lines ensure that proftpd starts automatically when the server is rebooted.

This fix may not work for everyone, but for those with the same problem as me, it's a life-saver. I think ISPConfig adds some dodgy lines to the proftpd.conf file, and a re-install does the trick.

Tuyre.

Last edited by tuyre; 14th November 2007 at 20:55.
The Following User Says Thank You to tuyre For This Useful Post:
cwright55 (27th April 2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 21st November 2007, 05:19

Same problem, working now.

Thank you!
Old 27th April 2008, 08:21
HowtoForge Supporter

This same problem pagued me for two days, and I searched many forums and read many replies to the problem, but this is the only one that actually said what to do, and best of all, it worked!