Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 21st April 2008, 22:58

Wink Systems unable to restart after installing ISPConfig

did tutorial on centos5.1. all ok great clarity and straightfwd.
afterthat did the ispconfig install.
all ok, up to login ispconfig & changed pwd & checked IPlist for eth0:0
the
root...# /home/...spamassion
line does nothing, cursor just continues to blink. Ctrl+C, closed terminal, reopen terminal and retried, still d same. did nothing else except Logout of ISPConfig (was in https://xxxx:81),

reboot the system
and only get a blue screen and a mouse.
not user login screen presented..

I had configured step 7&8 with encryption and I think the sys was waiting for a passphrase under the blue screen.
Any info on how to get-in to enter the passphrase or how to undo steps 7&8.
Also what's with the spamassasin ?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Old 21st April 2008, 23:23
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,205 Times in 4,081 Posts

Quote:
line does nothing, cursor just continues to blink. Ctrl+C, closed terminal, reopen terminal and retried, still d same.
Thats perfect, it means that everything is working correctly.

Quote:
Any info on how to get-in to enter the passphrase or how to undo steps 7&8.
Press [ctrl] + F1 to switch to the first console and entre the password that you used to encrypt the SSL certificate.

After you wre able to login, you will have to recreate the ssl certificate:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...58&postcount=4
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:32

Unhappy

At BlueScreen (BS), after CTRL+F1, consiolr appeared.
last line of console shows "enable /etc/fstab swap ok" and does nothing else forever.
No see ispconfig login,nor system User login.

Also tried Interactive mode and answer Y 1by1. Blue screen appeared EVEN after N to ISPconfig. Also tried not responding to ISPconfig [y/n] the console disappears and a BS appreared instead of the usual system login.

HOWEVER, by chance, at ISPconfig[y/n], did several CTRL+C in desperation and User Login appeared. Was able to get in as root. Tried https://xxx:81 returns server not found. Was able to surf though. I guess some services near the ISPconfig, towards the end of starting up froze. How to proceed to diag ? what files needed and where to find ?

using 1 box 1 eth nic on ADSL @home with dynamic Public IP from ISP provider. With/without ISPConfig, already have Apache/Cemtos page at localhost. Will ISPConfig manage the IP change automatically. Intent to use free external DNS provider such as everydns or editdns, can ISPConfig manage this arrangement? do I remove BIND? Maybe should start another thread, but I need to know in principle if I will hit a wall after going thru this BS bump, so I can abadon this project and try another, maybe Virtualmin
cheers
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:45
Super Moderator

Recreate the SSL certificates as I posted above.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
ste (22nd April 2008)
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:01

It worked. thanks for precise instruction.

By the way, any advise on my second concern: repeated below for your conveinience:
using 1 box 1 eth nic on ADSL @home with dynamic Public IP from ISP provider. With/without ISPConfig, already have Apache/Cemtos page at localhost. Will ISPConfig manage the IP change automatically. Intent to use free external DNS provider such as everydns or editdns, can ISPConfig manage this arrangement? do I remove BIND? Maybe should start another thread, but I need to know in principle if I will hit a wall after going thru this BS bump, so I can abadon this project and try another, maybe Virtualmin
cheers
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:26
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,721 Times in 2,562 Posts

Is your server behind a router?
If you're using external DNS servers for your domains, then you don't need ISPConfig's DNS Manager.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 23rd April 2008, 18:52

Unhappy

Yes, my CentOS box is behind a router.
My domain registra needs 2 DNS/IP addresses.
I have only 1 ADSL connection with dynamic IP address.
Hence, I thought to deviate and go with external DNS providers.
However, had followed your CentOS Perfect LAMP and ISPConfig tutorials.
Will the setup work ?.

1. If not is there another Howto?
2. If no howtos at the moment, do I just simply remove CentOS bind-chroot from Desktop>Application>Add/Remove Software>servers>DNS name server ?
3. Once bind is removed, do I need to patch conf files for apache,postfix etc..?
4. Once I fixed up the ext DNS records A,MX etc, do I still enter DNS IP into ISPConfig?

5. by the way, why my system failed to start properly with SSL certification and only worked after deactivating. Have U guys figured that one out yet ?

appreciate till's and your help
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:54
Super Moderator

1) Why do you want another howto, the setup is fine for this. You just have to use a provider like dyndns if you have no fixed IP.
2) No, dont doi that.
3) Di not remove bind.
4) Use a external DNS provider like dyndns and do not configure the domains in the ISPConfig DNS manager.
5) You answered your question already yourself
Quote:
I had configured step 7&8 with encryption and I think the sys was waiting for a passphrase under the blue screen.
Old 24th April 2008, 01:09

I've had a good experience with using EveryDNS http://www.everydns.net/ They are a free DNS manager and they let you mange up to 20 domains if i remember right.

Register with them, and point your namservers for your domain registrar to ns1.everydns.net, ns2.everydns.net, ns3.everydns.net, and ns4.everydns.net

Then configure your domains from the EveryDNS panel (eg A-records, NS, and MX for your mail).

Finally install their client so that your nameserver always point to your current IP.

No need to use ISPconfigs DNS manager in this case.

Cheers.
Old 24th April 2008, 22:50

Many thanks for your valuable guidance (Falko, Till & Aqua)
OK, have not started to configure DNS in ISPConfig, Managememt>Server.setting>.dns. Dont intent to.
1. had registered a domain "example.com.sg" with local registra.
2. given registra ns1.us.editdns.net & ns2.us.editdns.net for registra to point to.
3. set up ns1 with AXFR and ns2 as backup.. Populated A & MX records.
4. dig any www.example.com.sg got appropriate answers. Same for mail.
5. http://localhost returns the ISPConsig default index.html
6. https://localhost:81 returns the ISPConfig login page.
7. Router/Gateway Public/Internet IP is still unchanged (although it is Dhcp from ISP) have not got script to work on Auto dyn IP update yet.
8. Router/Gateway port forwarding for Web/SMTP/FTP/HTTPS enabled for Centos LAMP server with IP w.x.y.z. (although dhcp, the same IP is allocated/fixed. Server network eth0 is dhcp.
9. Problem is browser status shows connecting to www.example.com.sg for a long time without showing the expected html.
10. rpm -q chroot returns bind-chroot-9.3.3-10.el5
11. /var/named/chroot/var/named has the standard named.root (13 root NS) and a named.local (with localhost entry only).

Please advise whats I am missing ?
cheers