Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Programming/Scripts

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 26th January 2006, 20:57

Default Data upload from CSV file

Hi,

I'm pretty new at this so excuse ignorance.
2 quick questions.

1)I have a script used to upload data from a CSV file to database.

No matter how many rows are populated in the CSV file it only uploads the first 15 rows of data.

Any Ideas?

2)Also can anyone tell me what the line of code from PHP.ini below does

;session.entropy_length = 16
Sponsored Links
Old 26th January 2006, 21:08
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura
Hi,

I'm pretty new at this so excuse ignorance.
2 quick questions.

1)I have a script used to upload data from a CSV file to database.

No matter how many rows are populated in the CSV file it only uploads the first 15 rows of data.

Any Ideas?
To what database? MySQL? Which program do you use for uploading? phpMyAdmin?
Any error messages during the upload process?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 26th January 2006, 21:30

I use a php script to upload the data to a mysql database.

No error messages.

I know the file size is less than the 2mb limit and I know the first 15 rows are uploaded instantly.

Is it possible to limit the number of rows being uploaded into the DB in the settings.
Old 26th January 2006, 21:43
Super Moderator

Please post the content of your PHP script here, if it isn't too long...

Old 26th January 2006, 23:10

It has too many image tags so it the BB script is not allowing me to post all of it.

These are the sections I feel might be relevant.

I should point out I didn't code this myself.(like I said i'm a beginner)
__________________________________________________ _________
include_once("../../connection.php");
while ($data = fgetcsv($handle, 4096, $separator))
{
if (count($data) >= 15 && $data[0] != "" && $data[1] != "" && $data[2] != "" && in_array($data[3], array("B", "L")) && in_array($data[4], array("R", "C")) && is_numeric($data[5]) && $data[5] >= 0 && is_numeric($data[6]) && $data[6] >= 0 && in_array($data[7], array("T", "F")) && is_numeric($data[9]) && $data[9] >= 0 && in_array($data[10], array("P", "S", "T", "C")) && format_date($data[12]) && format_date($data[13]))
{
mysql_query("insert into properties(property_id, property_description, property_location, property_rooms, property_bathrooms, property_other_details, property_price, property_date_posted, property_last_date_available, agent_id, property_postcode, property_letorbuy, property_contract, property_accepted, property_contract_terms, property_of_week, property_available_from, property_furniture, property_type) values('', '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[0]) . "', '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[1]) . "', {$data[5]}, {$data[6]}, '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[8]) . "', {$data[9]}, now(), str_to_date('" . format_date($data[13]) . "', '%Y-%m-%d %T'), {$_SESSION['user_id']}, '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[2]) . "', '{$data[3]}', '{$data[10]}', 'T', '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[11]) . "', 'F', str_to_date('" . format_date($data[12]) . "', '%Y-%m-%d %T'), '{$data[7]}', '{$data[4]}')");
$result = mysql_query("select property_id from properties order by property_id desc limit 1");
$property_id = 0;
if ($array = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
$property_id = $array["property_id"];
}
mysql_free_result($result);
for ($i = 14; $i < count($data); $i++)
{
for ($j = 0; $j < $_POST["image_files_no"]; $j++)
{
if ($data[$i] != "" && str_replace("'", "`", $data[$i]) == str_replace("'", "`", $_FILES["image_files"]["name"][$j]))
{
$result = mysql_query("select image_id from property_images where image_name = '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[$i]) . "'");
if (mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
continue 2;
Old 27th January 2006, 07:35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura
__________________________________________________ _________
include_once("../../connection.php");
while ($data = fgetcsv($handle, 4096, $separator))
{
if (count($data) >= 15 && $data[0] != "" && $data[1] != "" && $data[2] != "" && in_array($data[3], array("B", "L")) && in_array($data[4], array("R", "C")) && is_numeric($data[5]) && $data[5] >= 0 && is_numeric($data[6]) && $data[6] >= 0 && in_array($data[7], array("T", "F")) && is_numeric($data[9]) && $data[9] >= 0 && in_array($data[10], array("P", "S", "T", "C")) && format_date($data[12]) && format_date($data[13]))
{
mysql_query("insert into properties(property_id, property_description, property_location, property_rooms, property_bathrooms, property_other_details, property_price, property_date_posted, property_last_date_available, agent_id, property_postcode, property_letorbuy, property_contract, property_accepted, property_contract_terms, property_of_week, property_available_from, property_furniture, property_type) values('', '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[0]) . "', '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[1]) . "', {$data[5]}, {$data[6]}, '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[8]) . "', {$data[9]}, now(), str_to_date('" . format_date($data[13]) . "', '%Y-%m-%d %T'), {$_SESSION['user_id']}, '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[2]) . "', '{$data[3]}', '{$data[10]}', 'T', '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[11]) . "', 'F', str_to_date('" . format_date($data[12]) . "', '%Y-%m-%d %T'), '{$data[7]}', '{$data[4]}')");
$result = mysql_query("select property_id from properties order by property_id desc limit 1");
$property_id = 0;
if ($array = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
$property_id = $array["property_id"];
}
for ($i = 14; $i < count($data); $i++)
{
for ($j = 0; $j < $_POST["image_files_no"]; $j++)
{
if ($data[$i] != "" && str_replace("'", "`", $data[$i]) == str_replace("'", "`", $_FILES["image_files"]["name"][$j]))
{
$result = mysql_query("select image_id from property_images where image_name = '" . str_replace("'", "`", $data[$i]) . "'");
if (mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
continue 2;
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

Old 27th January 2006, 07:44

I paid someone to help me create this section of the script there wasn't suppose to be a limit on the number to rows I could upload.

I would usually have to upload between 50 and 200 rows.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Old 27th January 2006, 09:38
Super Moderator

I strongly recommend to ask this someone. He knows best how the script works and why it works like that.

Old 27th January 2006, 10:35

It was a contract job from last year.

I've had a few problems but I've been able to fix them myself.

I'm new to php so I needed to be sure the solution wasn't an obvious one.
Old 10th April 2006, 18:28

If you are interested I have created a set of classes in PHP to perform almost the same sort of thing. However it should be noted that he is using individual SQL Inserts whereas instead he should using the MySQL load inline function which doesn't do individual queries per data item. Alternatively instead of loading into a live database they should create a temporary table and then insert directly into that table and do a load inline from one table to another. That would almost certainly be the most efficient clean way of doing it.

My code is less messy and better commented so hopefully it will be easier to learn from that the person who wrote that script.

If you are contact me using private messages on this board.

Update : It's probably worth noting that the "count($data) >= 15" section is counting the number of items in the array $data. Therefore this shouldn't have anything to do with the number of rows it's inserting into the database. What it does do is check that the number of columns is greater than or equal to 15.

What counts I think is " $_POST["image_files_no"] " as this should return the number of times it performs the select query and draws one result from the inserted data. Therefore I suspect that if you change this to a static value i.e. the number of rows in your CSV file it should print out all the results.The image_files_no is passed from the previous page as it's a $_POST value, or it's a static value set in one of the other core php files.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by 22hosting; 22nd August 2011 at 13:05.