Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 9th April 2008, 18:58

Default Debian Etch SMTP relay server using exim4

Hi,

I'm having trouble setting up my server to send email.

I have set up my server using exim4, courier-imap, and fetchmail.

Currently it downloads email from my ISP and other email accounts that I have and then hosts it as an IMAP server so that all my clients can see the same emails according to the user.

I would like to do the opposite however and relay email messages sent out from my clients through my ISP's SMTP server but I can't even get the server to simply send email.

I've searched everywhere for an example or howto and found nothing, then I posted in the Debian forum but no-one replied.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be greatfull, it might be that I am missing something very basic here.

I don't have a domain name but I do have a static IP!

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 10th April 2008, 18:09
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,726 Times in 2,565 Posts

Take a look here:
http://www.eckes.org/article.php?sid=150
http://www.lexspoon.org/linux/smtp-relay.html

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 19th April 2008, 01:55

Thanks alot for those links! I will try to implement as soon as I can debug my mail fetch system.

So far everything seems to be fine apart from a few little niggles in which I have no idea of how to solve:

1. I created a .forward file in my directory to organize incoming mail more efficiently, however after it's creation my server seems to be sending reciepts to all senders which is nothing but a blank email.

for example I put fetchmail into crontab to run every half an hour in verbose mode and sure crontab sends local mail to me to my inbox. However a get a mail from me to cron appearing in my mailbox aswell after I forwarded the mails from cron to me to my inbox/.cron.

Also it seems outside senders are receiving blank emails now too.

How can I disable this? - I searched in all exim4 config files and found no luck.

2. I would also like to integrate Spamassassin and ClamAV into exim4 to scan my mail and I have installed the packages and uncommented their parts in the exim.conf.template file but with no luck. Since ClamAV has some other files assosiated with it I get a warning saying that:

Exim configuration error in line 115 of /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp:
main option "av_scanner" unknown
Invalid new configfile /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp
not installing /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp to
/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

Are there any howto's on my problems or can anyone offer me any advice?

I've been struggling with this for a few weeks now and really like to learn how to get it up and running since this is my first experiance with mail servers and it's proving to be quite more complex then setting up anything else I've ever done on a linux machine!
Old 30th April 2008, 23:49

Default Exim4

Are you running in exim4 in split mode ?

what version of exim are you running...

what's the output of:
Code:
netstat -a |grep clamav