Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th April 2008, 19:23
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,385 Times in 4,231 Posts

It is fine that the logfiles are owned by root. The quota is applied by a nightly ISPConfig script and not the Linux quota. If you change the ownership to a user with quota, your apache will fail when quota is reached. I recommend that you change back the ownership to root.
Sponsored Links
Old 20th April 2008, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
It is fine that the logfiles are owned by root. The quota is applied by a nightly ISPConfig script and not the Linux quota. If you change the ownership to a user with quota, your apache will fail when quota is reached. I recommend that you change back the ownership to root.
If've compared the ownership of the dangerus big error.log form the web user with other users and I find that all error.log files are owned by the web user. After I've recogniced that I changed the ownership of the logfile.

Now I find an other strange thing - how can that be? The the linited storage space ist smaler than the used space. Should'nt the quota take place before the limit ist reached? That I've noticed on the ISP Site form.
Quote:
ISP Site

Storage space: 60 MB
used: 77.92M
Old 20th April 2008, 10:47
Super Moderator

Thats not really strange if you know how the statistics and quota works. What ISPCOnfig displays as used space is the amount of space used inside the website directory for all users while the website quota is a linux group quota. If you copy now a file e.g. owned by root into the website dierctory, it will be shown as used space but it did bot account to the quota value.
Old 20th April 2008, 12:55

I'm a bit confused now ...

At the bottom of the Administrator Manual from ISPConfig is noticed:
Quote:
The storage space used by all users of a web cannot become bigger the the value specified under "Space MB" on the tab "Basis" of a site.
Here: ISP Site --> Basis --> Space MB: 50MB (ISPConfig counter?)
the storage space for all users can be set. Right? This usage of it has no effect to the system quote for the webuser managed here:

ISP Site --> User & Email --> WebSpace MB: 60MB (usage of system quota)

Right?
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:45

I'm still confused about this things ...
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here: ISP Site --> Basis --> Space MB: 50MB (ISPConfig counter?)
the storage space for all users can be set. Right? This usage of it has no effect to the system quote for the webuser managed here:

ISP Site --> User & Email --> WebSpace MB: 60MB (usage of system quota)
Thats all correct and fine. The used space is not from a user of this site as I explained above.

Example:

We have the site /var/www/web1/ with the user web1_test. The quota of the site is 10 MB.

Now we upload a 5 MB file with FTP as user web1_test and the website statistic will show 5 MB used space and the used quota is 5 MB too. Now you login as root user (root is not a member of this site) and copy a file with 100 MB size on the shell into the directory /var/www/web1/.

The website statistics will show now 105 MB used space for the directory /var/www/web1/, but the quota which is used by the users of the site is still just 5 MB.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
tom (22nd April 2008)
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:16

Thanks, for your explanation. Now I got it very clear.

But why you told above. I mean the logfile ever belong the user, is'nt it like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by till

Last edited by tom; 22nd April 2008 at 12:19.