Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th November 2008, 16:52

Default 550 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown

Hi there. I have hunted these forums already, trying to find a solution to this problem. Although I've found threads detailing similar problems, none seem to be like this one.

Essentially, we have a problem with *some* people emailing users on our server. For the most part, mail works flawlessly, and we don't have any problems, but occaisionally, we find that some people just cannot email users on our server, no matter how hard they try, they get a bounce message like this (email addresses and hostnames have been changed to generic value's);

Quote:
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<user@domain.tld> (reason: 550 5.1.1 <user@ispconfig.hostname>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to ispconfig.hostname.: >>> DATA <<< 550 5.1.1 <user@ispconfig.hostname>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table 550 5.1.1 <user@domain.tld>... User unknown <<< 554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients
The thing I find strangest about this, is that user@domain.tld (the proper users email address on the ispconfig server) seems to be getting converted to user@ispconfig.hostname. ie. the domain name part of the email address is being converted to the hostname of the ispconfig server. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it seems strange to me.

If I try to test this by sending an email from my personal googlemail account to the same email address, the mail goes through fine, and I cannot replicate the issue the senders are having.

It happens with multiple unrelated accounts, and multiple unrelated domains on the server, with multiple unrelated users with different ISP's sending the emails. Some users never have the problem at all, other users seem to have it a lot. I really don't know where to start with this. Adding to the problem, it's quite difficult to troubleshoot with senders who aren't my customer, but some are cooperative occaisionally, even though I haven't got anywhere with this in the end. At one point when this happened, I deleted the affected site and associated users and domains (DNS records included) from the ISPConfig control panel, emptied the recycle bin, and recreated them. This seemed to fix the problem for a while (I didn't have any compaints from the user), but now it's resurfaced for at least one of these customers. Obviously continually deleting and readding them (forcing them to update their login details) isn't really a good solution, if in fact it does work.

Apologies if I've missed a thread on this, and please feel free to point me in the direction of it if one exists. I hope somebody can help with this, as I have no idea what to do. There isn't really anything useful in /var/log/mail.log only things like;

Quote:
Nov 17 15:15:32 apollo postfix/local[12940]: 90E3F6204: to=<web48_admin@ispconfig.hostname>, orig_to=<user@domain.tld>, relay=local, delay=5.4, delays=0.15/0/0/5.3, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)
I have tried to odd trick like "postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable" to rebuild the user table, but it hasn't helped.

Many Thanks In Advance,

Simon
Sponsored Links
Old 17th November 2008, 17:46

To clear thing out:

1) user1@somedomain.com sends mail to user@domain.tld hosted on your ISPConfig server and user1@somedomain.com gets error:
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- ... etc.

2) user2@gmail.com sends mail to user@domain.tld and mail is delivered with no errors

user@domain.tld exists in /etc/postfix/virtusertable ?

What HOW-TO did you use for install?
Old 17th November 2008, 17:52

Sorry, I forgot that bit

I used The Perfect Setup - Debian Etch (Debian 4.0) HOW-TO. I'm also running ISPConfig 2.2.24, but this problem has occured on the 2 versions prior to that.

Debian is fully up to date.

Your other points are all correct, yes. The only point I'd make is that user@domain.tld isn't in /etc/postfix/virtusertable, it's a catchall account for that whole domain.

Cheers.

Last edited by SimonH; 17th November 2008 at 17:54.
Old 17th November 2008, 18:09

I personaly dont have catchall mail account but I think that it should be listed in /etc/postfix/virtusertable because that account can recive mail sent directly to that account but also recives all other mail sent to same domain.

Last edited by _X_; 17th November 2008 at 18:11.
Old 17th November 2008, 19:25

Well, the account in question is one of a few that the sender tried for this domain. All failed. There are no other user accounts for the site, just a single "admin" account which is a catchall for the domain.

@domain.tld web48_admin

is listed in /etc/postfix/virtusertable, which I assume refers to the catchall.
Old 17th November 2008, 22:27
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,498 Times in 4,328 Posts

Please enable the maildir checkbox under management > server > settings
Old 17th November 2008, 22:43

I've just checked, and it is already enabled.
Old 17th November 2008, 22:47
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,498 Times in 4,328 Posts

Did you install your server exactly as described in the perfect setup guide for your linux distribution?
Old 17th November 2008, 23:19

yes, exactly, as far as I can remember. It was around 10 months ago, now. The only thing I didn't enable was disk quota's.
Old 18th November 2008, 15:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,577 Posts

What's in /etc/postfix/main.cf?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: