Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 19th January 2006, 22:34
deezone deezone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to deezone
Default

Thanks for the the tip on simplified form for the user website. The ~ did the work just fine.

With regard to the email. When u say create an A record in DNS do you mean in ISPConfig?

I was wondering why you can't do a test mail from within a local network. I mean, in MS Exchange, I can send emails within the Local Area Network without having to create an A record. As with postfix, I created two emails/users say mdavid@ourstuff.co.nz and joga@ourstuff.co.nz. Then I logged into the webmail as mdavid@ourstuff.co.nz and sent a mail to joga@ourstuff.co.nz. Then I logged out and logged in as joga@ourstuff.co.nz to check the inbox and found it empty. Does this mean that postfix is not able to process internal mails unless an A record is setup?

The only thing that started to work now is sending emails from the webmail to my MS Exchange email account (on the same network). This goes to show that smtp is working fine. Is there a way to test if IMAP and POP3 are working as well?

Last edited by deezone; 19th January 2006 at 22:39.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #12  
Old 19th January 2006, 22:45
till till is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 35,461
Thanks: 813
Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezone
Thanks for the the tip on simplified form for the user website. The ~ did the work just fine.

With regard to the email. When u say create an A record in DNS do you mean in ISPConfig?
Because the error message you posted says that postfix is not able to resolve the domain.

Quote:
I was wondering why you can't do a test mail from within a local network. I mean, in MS Exchange, I can send emails within the Local Area Network without having to create an A record. As with postfix, I created two emails/users say mdavid@ourstuff.co.nz and joga@ourstuff.co.nz. Then I logged into the webmail as mdavid@ourstuff.co.nz and sent a mail to joga@ourstuff.co.nz. Then I logged out and logged in as joga@ourstuff.co.nz to check the inbox and found it empty. Does this mean that postfix is not able to process internal mails unless an A record is setup?
You can do that without creating an A-Record. Which message appears in the mail log when you send an email. If you use a pop3 daemon that uses maildir format like courier, then check the Maildir setting in ISPConfig under management > server > settings on the mail tab.

Quote:
The only thing that started to work now is sending emails from the webmail to my MS Exchange email account (on the same network). This goes to show that smtp is working fine. Is there a way to test if IMAP and POP3 are working as well?
Yes, check maildir setting and send a testmail again.
__________________
Till Brehm
--
Get ISPConfig support and the ISPConfig 3 manual from ispconfig.org.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20th January 2006, 01:49
deezone deezone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to deezone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Because the error message you posted says that postfix is not able to resolve the domain.



You can do that without creating an A-Record. Which message appears in the mail log when you send an email. If you use a pop3 daemon that uses maildir format like courier, then check the Maildir setting in ISPConfig under management > server > settings on the mail tab.



Yes, check maildir setting and send a testmail again.
I created an A record in ISPConfig and I can now send emails back and fort to the two emails I can even send loop back email. Seems to be working fine, except that when I use "reply to" sometimes it gets through to the recipient and sometimes it doesn't.

Almost there guys. Once I get the reply to work porperly then I'll move on to making it live on the internet. Meanwhile need to know if you have any ideas as to why the reply thingy seem to be ropey?

Last edited by deezone; 20th January 2006 at 01:52.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20th January 2006, 06:37
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezone
With regard to the email. When u say create an A record in DNS do you mean in ISPConfig?
No, on the name server(s) that are authoritative for webdeezsign.co.nz. They are ns2.zoneedit.com and ns3.zoneedit.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezone
Does this mean that postfix is not able to process internal mails unless an A record is setup?
You can put ourstuff.co.nz into /etc/hosts instead of creating an A record.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22nd January 2006, 19:41
deezone deezone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to deezone
 
Default

Creating an A record (in ISPConfig) seem to have done the trick for me. the ourstuff.co.nz has been in /etc/hosts when I first created it. Things are working just fine. Next step is to make it live on the internet.

Thanks for the info guys (till and falko)... I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
testing web site by its external ip address rosa hsiao General 9 12th January 2006 21:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.