RE: Cannot telnet...
All systems go!
In the event that you purchase and install a SSL certificate after the initial server build where you had a self-signed one:
1. Using openssl you must create a certificate and key in the PEM format for dovecot.
2. cp cert servername.pem file to /etc/pki/dovecot/servername.pem
3. cp key servername.pem file to /etc/pki/dovecot/private/servername.pem
4. Restart dovecot /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
5. Test from external m/c using telnet yourhost.com 110
6. Test from your MUA on external m/c
If your username / passoword are correct you should be in.
Thanks topdog for your help