Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 25th February 2008, 17:18

That's weird. I've tried from two different computers, and I can get into everything else on the server just fine, it's just the port 25 for outgoing mail that seems to hang. Maybe it's something with Thunderbird. I'll look into it some more, thanks.

Edit: I just tried it from my work computer running Ubuntu 7.10, I do:
telnet scriptsamurai.com 25
it resolves the IP properly, then just hangs there indefinitely.

Same thing happens with my home computer running 7.10. My dev server at home running CentOS 5 gets:

[horizon@sisyphus ~]$ telnet scriptsamurai.com 25
Trying 67.207.134.15...
telnet: connect to address 67.207.134.15: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

The windows XP machine I have at work also just hangs. Is there a way I can check on my server what's getting refused? It seems like a firewall issue on the server side, since it's from a few different computers. I have no idea why it would let you connect but not me. :/ I don't run a firewall on the server, and I run one on the desktop at home but not any of these other machines I've tried.

Last edited by Horizon; 25th February 2008 at 18:02.
Sponsored Links
Old 26th February 2008, 19:12
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,567 Posts

I'm still able to connect, so I guess it's some kind of firewall problem on your client PCs. Do you use personal firewalls?
If you're using tools like DenyHosts or fail2ban, did you maybe lock yourself out?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
Horizon (26th February 2008)
Old 26th February 2008, 20:22

I use moblock on one, nothing on the other two, and I disabled moblock when I tried it. I don't think I'm using anything on the server that would've locked me out - I just followed the tutorials you had up. Any idea on how I can dump the firewall rules, maybe, and make sure? I can get into everything else on the server from all the machines I've tested, it just hangs trying to telnet port 25. SSH, HTTP/S, Icecast, all that still works fine. :S

Edit: Turns out my ISP blocks outgoing traffic on port 25 at the cable modem level. Fantastic.

Edit: Just to let you know, did get this resolved - set up an iptables port forward on the server to run :2525 to :25 and got around my ISP block that way. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by Horizon; 26th February 2008 at 23:27.