Old 11th February 2008, 22:58

Default NFS Cluster questions

I've read (though not yet implemented the NFS Cluster HOWTO) and have a question about the way the master status works.

With my server setup I have a farm of applications on many machines all writing data based on requests made from my tomcat server. THE NFS Cluster is the closest solution yet that I've found for making those changes available to the Tomcat server, but from what I understand of the NFS HOWTO I can only have a single master at any given time (managed by DRBD). Is this correct? Would it be possible to have multiple nodes writing to the shared resource from within the cluster? If not is there another solution you would suggest?

Is there any indicator from the system that I could check to see which machine currently has access to the shared drive for writing? If there is no solution already available I've considered writing my own software that will pass the additional files through the network to be written on the current master drive.
Sponsored Links
Old 12th February 2008, 15:18

I've been thinking about the problem, and would it be possible to setup rsync cron jobs to transfer information from the secondary to the master to write to the NFS share? How could I tell which machine is currently the master from the secondary?
Old 12th February 2008, 21:26
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood
but from what I understand of the NFS HOWTO I can only have a single master at any given time (managed by DRBD). Is this correct?
It's been some time since I've written that tutorial, but I *think* this is correct.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: