Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 12th January 2006, 23:05

Angry Simply viewing the web user&email tab resets the user's password!!!

Um, problem? Indubitably!!! I'm sorry for the red mad face, but that seems like a pretty big bug. Any thoughts till or falko?

I should elaborate. Clicking ON the user&email tab doesn't reset the pw, but clicking OFF the tab does. So if you click on user&email at all, the password will inevitably reset as soon as you view something else. Argh! I'm at a loss as to how I can avoid this, otherwise I'll have to keep a password protected database for all users so if I have to modify or view them I can make sure I retype the password. Frustrating. HELP!

Last edited by heftigrat; 12th January 2006 at 23:08.
Sponsored Links
Old 13th January 2006, 03:42
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts

Then there's something wrong on your system. The password is changed only if you type in a new password in the password field. If you don't type in anything then it is not going to be changed.

Also have a look here: http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/m..._src.htm#2_1_7

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 13th January 2006, 05:52

mmmm, perhaps there is something wrong with my system, but i doubt it. i clicked on "User & Email", then on "Advanced Settings", and I try to log into Uebimiau and I get this message:

Code:
Login error  	

You cannot login with the username and password entered.

Please check your username and password and try again.

Back
Old 13th January 2006, 11:42
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,322 Times in 4,175 Posts

I dont think the behaviouryou described is a general bug, otherwise we would have heard about that before. Lets try to track it down.

1) Create a user and verify that you can login with UebiMiau.
2) Have a look at /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and note the lines for this user.
3) Go in the ISPConfig interface and change the tabs as you described.

a) whats get written newly to the ispconfig logfile:

/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/ispconfig.log

b) Dies /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow gets changed. Is the password emptied in /etc/shadow ?
Old 13th January 2006, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Lets try to track it down.
Right there with ya. Let's do this thing. Ready? Go! ...

Quote:
1) Create a user and verify that you can login with UebiMiau.
Done, user is "domain.dom-test".
Quote:
2) Have a look at /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and note the lines for this user.
/etc/passwd:
Code:
domain.dom-test:x:10005:10003:Test Email:/var/www/web3/user/domain.dom-test:/bin/false
/etc/shadow (edited for my comfort):
Code:
domain.dom-test:(encrypt_pass_here?):13161:0:99999:7:::
Quote:
3) Go in the ISPConfig interface and change the tabs as you described.
Done, only this time I even pressed "Cancel" with the same result! Can't log into webby-meow! (how do you pronounce it, btw? a little off topic but what the hey.)

Quote:
a) whats get written newly to the ispconfig logfile:
/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/ispconfig.log:
Code:
# cat /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/ispconfig.log | tail
13.01.2006 - 09:05:55 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 695: setquota -u domain.dom-test 0 0 0 0 -a &> /dev/null
13.01.2006 - 09:05:55 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_procmail.lib.php, Line 57: cp -f /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/forward.master /var/www/web3/user/domain.dom-test/.forward
13.01.2006 - 09:05:55 => INFO - maildirmake /var/www/web3/user/domain.dom-test/Maildir &> /dev/null, Line 106: maildirmake /var/www/web3/user/domain.dom-test/Maildir &> /dev/null
13.01.2006 - 09:05:55 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_postfix.lib.php, Line 136: cp -fr /etc/postfix/local-host-names /etc/postfix/local-host-names~
13.01.2006 - 09:05:55 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_postfix.lib.php, Line 283: cp -fr /etc/postfix/virtusertable /etc/postfix/virtusertable~
13.01.2006 - 09:05:55 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_postfix.lib.php, Line 288: postmap hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable
13.01.2006 - 09:05:55 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 1191: cp -fr /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf~
13.01.2006 - 09:05:55 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_system.lib.php, Line 696: /etc/init.d/postfix stop &> /dev/null
13.01.2006 - 09:05:56 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_system.lib.php, Line 696: /etc/init.d/postfix start &> /dev/null
13.01.2006 - 09:05:56 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 1825: cp -fr /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf~
Looks like all account creation stuff to me.

Quote:
b) Dies /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow gets changed. Is the password emptied in /etc/shadow ?
Nope, still there.

Does this have anything to do with me using certain characters such as pound (#) or bang (!) for example? Never had a problem using certain chars in Linux pw's before. Is that it though?
Old 13th January 2006, 16:47
Super Moderator

If /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow does not get changed, the account must be still valid... Have you tried to login with a "normal" not webbased pop3 client.

Please try passwords without special charachters, did you get the same behaviour?
Old 13th January 2006, 17:07

Quote:
If /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow does not get changed, the account must be still valid... Have you tried to login with a "normal" not webbased pop3 client.
Well now that's a strange thing. Here's what happened:
1. Didn't change anything since unable to login via webmail, WAS able to log in via POP3 (T-Bird).
2. Sent an email to that account, dl-ed w/T-Bird no prob, then WAS able to log in via webmail!
3. Did the "click on / click off" thing, then could NOT log in either via webmail or T-Bird!!!
4. Sent myself another email thinking perhaps that was what fixed webmail earlier - no effect.

Quote:
Please try passwords without special charachters, did you get the same behaviour?
OK, that worked fine. Must be the strange characters. That does concern me though, as Linux is cool with special characters and I have always liked to keep my pw's a little cryptic in and of themselves, just to avoid brute-force attacks and lucky guesses. Is there any way this can be added to ISPC v3? Would this be worthwhile to submit as a bug or a feature request? Thanks for all your help!
Old 13th January 2006, 17:11
Super Moderator

ISPConfig does not care about the characters used in passwords. The problems I've encountered sometimes where that the crypt function in linux seem to result in another hash then the crypt function in PHP.
Old 13th January 2006, 17:28

Quote:
ISPConfig does not care about the characters used in passwords. The problems I've encountered sometimes where that the crypt function in linux seem to result in another hash then the crypt function in PHP.
Well ain't that a b!tch. Why should that affect standard POP3 connections though? It shouldn't rewrite the encrypted pw to /etc/shadow, right?
Old 13th January 2006, 18:45

OK, new development:

I just tried again with a different test account. I did the "click on / click off" thing, checked "/etc/shadow", and verified the encrypted pw was still OK. Then I tried loggin in via Uebimiau, got the error, checked "/etc/shadow" and the pw was reset to "*"!!! Weird.

Then I tried just doing a "passwd <user>" in bash and got a completely different crypt pw in shadow. THIS FIXED THE ISSUE! The pw no longer gets reset to "*" when I do the click on/off thing and then check webmail. My friends, I appreciate all your help, but as a developer I would most definitely consider this a bug. Is there any way to force ISPC to use the Linux pw hashing algorithm instead of PHP's? Thanks.

EDIT: The "bug" as I call it seems to be very specific and is not caused only by ISPC or only by Uebimiau, but a combination of actions between the two. Specifically, I have to click on/off in ISPC AND THEN attempt to log into the account via Uebimiau.

Last edited by heftigrat; 13th January 2006 at 18:48.