Old 11th February 2008, 15:41

Default Post GUI install

Greetings all,

I just finished installing the Fedora Core 8 perfect setup. I have moderate experience with the Linux command line so I didn't install any GUI. Now I find myself wishing I had but can't find how to "post" install x-windows & Gnome or KDE.
I really don't want to have to re-install, as everything is working. Yet having a GUI does speed things up! If anyone here can point me in the right direction I would be in their debt.

Will Banks
Sponsored Links
Old 11th February 2008, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by willebanks
Greetings all,

I just finished installing the Fedora Core 8 perfect setup. I have moderate experience with the Linux command line so I didn't install any GUI. Now I find myself wishing I had but can't find how to "post" install x-windows & Gnome or KDE.
I really don't want to have to re-install, as everything is working. Yet having a GUI does speed things up! If anyone here can point me in the right direction I would be in their debt.

Will Banks
I dont have fedora so i dont know the exact install group that provides the X server. You can find that by running
Code:
yum grouplist
On centos it is "X Window System" and either "KDE (K Desktop Environment)" or "GNOME Desktop Environment"

After you have confirmed the group name with yum grouplist you can then install like this
Code:
yum group install "X Window System"
yum group install "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
Old 11th February 2008, 16:51

topdog,

Thanks for the quick reply! I had tried various "yum installs" hoping to get lucky but didn't know about "grouplist" or the proper X window "package" name. Thanks, this will help tremendously and I have learn one more Linux command as well!

Thanks a million!

Will Banks