Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd February 2008, 04:39

Default The Perfect Xen 3.1.0 Setup For Debian Etch

I have successfully installed xen using the HowTo at http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1. I chose to finish the final page, which was optional, with the hope of "Creat(ing) A Virtual Local Network From The Virtual Machines". This required me to change the gateway, netmask, and IP address of the instances.

My original goal was to create a virtual local network with the xen server acting as the router and name server:
The tutorial discusses how to use iptables to achieve port forwarding but this limits me to having one server (instance) per port. Many of my servers have there own web interface (trac, mysql, etc) which means I must somehow create a name server that provides the desired functionality (shown above). Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd February 2008, 19:40
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts

You can try to use routing in Xen instead of NAT.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 21st April 2008, 08:19

I am now having difficulties with the iptables discussed on the last page of the tutorial. What I need to do is forward all requests on port 3306 to my sql server. Right now this is what I have in /etc/network/if-up.d/iptables

Code:
#!/bin/sh

### Port Forwarding ###
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 3306 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.2:3306
Even with these settings I am not able to connect to my sql server with a client. Here is the output of iptables -L:

Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     0    --  api.scratchco.com    anywhere            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vif1.0 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vif1.0 udp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps 
ACCEPT     0    --  svn.scratchco.com    anywhere            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vif2.0 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vif2.0 udp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps 
ACCEPT     0    --  mysql.scratchco.com  anywhere            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vif4.0 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vif4.0 udp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps 
ACCEPT     0    --  hudson.scratchco.com  anywhere            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vif5.0 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in vif5.0 udp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps 

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
Any suggestions?
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts

Did you run
Code:
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 3306 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.2:3306
on the shell as well?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: