Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Closed Thread

Old 1st August 2005, 12:01

Thumbs up Fedora Core 4 - The Perfect Setup

http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/per...re_4/index.php

Hi Falko,

I went through your article on Perfect Setup of FC4. Thanks a lot for such a nice article. Me personally need to know few more steps of how about going with few more tools which would help me to add Virtual email domains and then email accounts for those virtual domains. Also is there any web based tools that I could use to add/edit/delete the domains, virtual domains and email accounts. Like vpopmail and vqadmin for qmail.

Also more importantly are there any tools that I could get to install with the above article mentioned setup to have access to emails to the email accounts created using the above mentioned domains and virtual domains. Something like Squirrel Mail or Horde or should there be anything else available.

Could you please kindly add instructions on how to add a web based tool like vqadmin/vpopmail and web based email access using squirrel/horde or anything else?

Basically I'm trying to setup a Mailserver on my ADSL connection at home. And I've 3 domains registered, so i want to be able to use all the 3 domains from this single email server.

Also I hope your instructions in the article will help me to install the mail server on my AMD x86_64 bit Athlon system.

Many thanks for your kind help.

Nanda.

Last edited by nandhu; 10th August 2005 at 16:39.
Sponsored Links
Old 1st August 2005, 12:35
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandhu
http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/per...re_4/index.php

Hi Falko,

I went through your article on Perfect Setup of FC4. Thanks a lot for such a nice article. Me personally need to know few more steps of how about going with few more tools which would help me to add Virtual email domains and then email accounts for those virtual domains. Also is there any web based tools that I could use to add/edit/delete the domains, virtual domains and email accounts. Like vpopmail and vqadmin for qmail.

Also more importantly are there any tools that I could get to install with the above article mentioned setup to have access to emails to the email accounts created using the above mentioned domains and virtual domains. Something like Squirrel Mail or Horde or should there be anything else available.

Could you please kindly add instructions on how to add a web based tool like vqadmin/vpopmail and web based email access using squirrel/horde or anything else?

Basically I'm trying to setup a Mailserver on my ADSL connection at home. And I've 3 domains registered, so i want to be able to use all the 3 domains from this single email server.

Also I hope your instructions in the article will help me to install the mail server on my AMD x86_64 bit Athlon system.

Many thanks for your kind help.

Nanda.

Hi Nanda,

have you tried ISPConfig? It provides Website, Domain and email management with a web based interface.

Till
Old 1st August 2005, 18:00

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Hi Nanda,

have you tried ISPConfig? It provides Website, Domain and email management with a web based interface.

Till
Thanks Till. This evening I'm going to follow this article fully and will also install ISPConfig.

Could you please put down some lines here for installing ISPConfig. I don't think Falko's article explains that bit in detail?

Also I just took a look at a demo of ISPConfig, yes it is a very good one. But
there is no web email access for the users. Say if I create a virtual email domain like xyz.com on my mail server mail.myserver.com. Then how can a user with email id: user@xyz.com can login by web like yahoo email or hotmail and check his emails. So I need an web based email tool like that. I know squirrel mail and horde do that for qmail through courier-imap, but i could not get to install qmail using qmailtoaster or qmailrocks. Everytime I try to install following the instructions given at qmailrocks, I get errors while compiling courier-auth section.

After hours and hours of search and googling, I could not get anywhere, so I'm going to follow Falko's article this evening. But then I do not know how to link SqMail or Horde with the installation of Falko's, so I was wondering if there is any other webmail that I could use straight forward with this article's setup or I'm also happy if install of SqMail and Horde will be working straightway with this setup.

In anycase I'll give my try and will update this area.

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks for your reply earlier.

Nanda.

Last edited by nandhu; 1st August 2005 at 18:30.
Old 1st August 2005, 18:29
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,582 Posts

Quote:
Could you please put down some lines here for installing ISPConfig. I don't think Falko's article explains that bit in detail?
Please look here: http://www.ispconfig.org/manual_installation.htm

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 1st August 2005, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Thanks a lot Falko.

Much appreciated. I'll do this today.

- Nanda.
Old 5th August 2005, 11:41

Hi,

When I ran the command
apt-get cyrus-sasl-gssapi

I got back a message saying cannot find cyrus-sasl-gssapi

Is there anyother rpm source needs to be added to sources.list?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Nanda.
Old 5th August 2005, 12:06
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,582 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

When I ran the command
apt-get cyrus-sasl-gssapi

I got back a message saying cannot find cyrus-sasl-gssapi

Is there anyother rpm source needs to be added to sources.list?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Nanda.
No, you need these 3 lines in /etc/apt/sources.list:
Code:
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/4/i386 core updates freshrpms
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/4/i386 tupdates
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386 core updates freshrpms
Run
Code:
apt-get update
after you've changed /etc/apt/sources.list.

But you don't need cyrus-sasl-gssapi for doing plain and login authentication with Postfix so you can leave it out.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 5th August 2005, 13:58

Thanks Falko.

I' think I did apt-get update, but probably I did it without updating the sources.list as you expected.

I'll redo this bit today and will update this area.

Thanks.

- Nanda.
Old 6th August 2005, 01:07

Thanks Falko.
apt-get worked like a charm.

Cheers

- Nanda.
Old 12th November 2005, 18:54

hey im new to linux but i wanna setup a web server on 1 of my old computers
ive been following the "The Perfect Setup - Fedora Core 4" guide and i finished installing but wen i type /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 i get permission denied. and the next step it says create this file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0 how do you create the file?

i know its prolly the noobiest questions ever but id really like to learn this and set up a web server.
Closed Thread