Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 28th January 2008, 00:35

Lightbulb Block a range of IP's with Bastille & iptables

I needed an easy way to block a range of IP addresses so I wrote a little bash script.

You enter IP ranges like 128.121.0.0-128.121.255.255 into a simple text file. The script produces the iptables code for you and puts it in the correct folder for the Bastille firewall to use. All you have to do is restart Bastille and your rules are working and blocking all of the IP's in the range. Enter each range you want to block on a separate line in the text file. Enter as many lines as you want.

I use Snort for intrusion detection so this script gives me the ability to quickly and easily manage the IP ranges I want to block. To make a change all you do is edit the text file, run the script and restart Bastille. Rules remain in effect even if you reboot your server.

Enjoy!

PS - I tried about 6 times to upload it here as a zip file and each time it was corrupted. Finally I tried tar.gz and that seems to work fine.
Attached Files
File Type: gz block_iprange.tar.gz (1.7 KB, 981 views)

Last edited by wpwood3; 28th January 2008 at 00:59.
The Following User Says Thank You to wpwood3 For This Useful Post:
falko (28th January 2008)
Sponsored Links