Old 19th January 2008, 18:18

Default Remote Access

hi everyone

i am running a fedora core 7 in my office and i have 8 static ip addresess.

i am trying to find out how i can set up a business like gotomypc.co.uk

i want to get the clinet sign up and access their pc or any other device which is ip based!

can anybody walk me through what i need hardware and software wise and how i can set it up please.

one more question:

when i want to install a software on linux(e.g rpm softwares) do i have to cd in any particulre directory or if i stay on my home directory and run rpm -Uvh somesoftware.rpm it will be insatlled on the proper directory by itself?

thanks 4 your help
Sponsored Links
Old 20th January 2008, 19:42
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

[QUOTE=zoish]hi everyone

i am running a fedora core 7 in my office and i have 8 static ip addresess.

i am trying to find out how i can set up a business like gotomypc.co.uk

i want to get the clinet sign up and access their pc or any other device which is ip based!

can anybody walk me through what i need hardware and software wise and how i can set it up please.[/QUOTEDo you mean something like this? http://www.tightvnc.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoish
one more question:

when i want to install a software on linux(e.g rpm softwares) do i have to cd in any particulre directory
No, at least not if you install the rpm "online", e.g. like this: rpm -Uvh http://.../somefile.rpm
If you've downloaded the rpm, you must of course specify the correct path to the rpm file.

Quote:
or if i stay on my home directory and run rpm -Uvh somesoftware.rpm it will be insatlled on the proper directory by itself?
Yes.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 21st January 2008, 11:02

Smile Remote access

hi falko

thanks for your reply, about remote access my idea is:

to install ip cam in clinet's house/office and let them monitor their permises through internet, but at the same time i do not want them to get static ip for their house or offices.

is there any way we can install ip camera in remote side and use normal internet access like ADSL connection with dynamic ip address and let signed up user to monitor their permises remotly as well as accessing their pc?

i think it is possible but i can not figure it out how as i am new in Linux.

i would be greatful if you let me know.

thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:03
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
is there any way we can install ip camera in remote side and use normal internet access like ADSL connection with dynamic ip address and let signed up user to monitor their permises remotly as well as accessing their pc?
You can get a hostname at dyndns.org and then let the router update the IP address whenever it changes. Most routers support dyndns.org.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: