Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 23rd August 2008, 15:46

i clicked on your link to the howto, but the page couldnot be found. any ways it looks like you are missing the samba admin account in your ldap directory. if you post a new link then i can look at the how to and see where you may have missed something
Sponsored Links
Old 24th August 2008, 09:38

Smile OpenLDAP + Samba Domain on Ubuntu 7.10 (Version 2)

I found version 2 of this same tutorial over on ubuntu forums... It seems to have solved the majority of my problems!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=640760

it is also available on the authors personal site

http://www.rrcomputerconsulting.com/...p?article_id=3

Thanks Ricky!
Old 24th August 2008, 12:15

When I log onto the XP machine I ALWAYS get 2 errors with regards to roaming profiles... The XP machine then creates a new temporary profile each time the user logs in. Which is slow...

Error Message 1
Quote:
Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The network name cannot be found.
The part about the network name cannot be found is concerning... So I pinged dc01-ubuntu and it worked however when I ping dc01-ubuntu.example.local it doesn't work...

Error Message 2
Quote:
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.
The allusers.bat script seems to run however I had to change any instances of \\dc01-ubuntu.example.local to \\dc01-ubuntu.

I don't want roaming profiles, but I also don't want error messages each time I log in. And I need those scripts to run.. Any suggestions?

I'm following this updated tutorial..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=640760

Here is a link to the Virtual Machine I've created to try to get this working.. You might have to change the static IP address etc to make this work for you? Let me know if you've solved my problem and how. I created this using VMWare Fusion for Mac but I assume it should run in the VMWare player for any other OS..
http://webcitr.us/ubuntu7.10_SAMBA_OPENLDAP.rar
Attached Images

Last edited by mperreault; 24th August 2008 at 14:37.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:05

I've solved the problem! In the samba.conf file i had

"login path =" instead of "logon path ="

No more errors while logging into windows! Now I'm going to figure out how to write a login script to do exactly what I need!
Old 4th September 2008, 15:52

Default OpenLDAP + Samba Domain with OS X Client?

Hello, does anyone know how I can get an OS X 10.5 client to authenticate with this particular setup? I have my windows machines working very well.. However it would be nice to have the server handle the user authentication for the Mac as well...
Old 28th September 2008, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperreault View Post
I've been trying to follow this http://www.howtoforge.com/openldap-s...r-ubuntu7.10-p Tutorial on and off for the past 2 months. I work in a school and as we have run out of CAL's for the Windows 2003 SBS I would rather replace the domain controller with something free as we can't afford to buy the CAL's...

Anyway I've reached the point where I get the XP machine to join the domain. I type "root" as the username and "12345" as the password and I get..

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "example":

The user name could not be found.

I've tried using sysadmin for the user. and it also doesn't work...

Any ideas?
Is there any solution for this issue ?? I also have the same problem.
Old 28th September 2008, 13:18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinbhatt View Post
Is there any solution for this issue ?? I also have the same problem.
I ended up starting over and it worked... The server has been up and running for the past 4 weeks now with a full load of students logging on and off all day... I havn't had any issues! Good luck with it!