Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30th January 2008, 17:55
nibbles nibbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: still on planet earth
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face Few More questions for Perfect Server - Ubuntu 7.10

I found myself to be asking a few questions again so I hope someone can expand with their answers or even provided me with a given scenario.

In my mind, I would like to use mail.mydomain.com for setting up my mail service and of course for hosting, I will have www.mydomain.com for web and also I'm also wanting to try to use an internal webportal that will not be used for the public. (something like home.nibblesnet.com could be an example)

Here's what I am doing based on the HowTo

mapping multiple names in /etc/hosts:
Here's what I've done:

From PAGE 3:
-> vi /etc/hosts:

I've added the following:
_________________________________________________
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.100 mail.mydomain.com ub1
192.168.0.100 www.mydomain.com ub1
192.168.0.100 fpt.mydomain.com ub1

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts


_________________________________________________


Question: If I want to make an internal based web based portal as well, would I need to map it in there. (something like maybe "home.nibblesnet.com" as example perhaps)? So would I need to add it in the hosts file?


On the same page from the Howto, I wanted to know about the following:
echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh start


I noted that you can only add one of them. I wanted to know what is better to use based on the 1st step:

mail.mydomain.com?
or
www.mydomain.com?
bear in mind that I want to host a domain I've already registered and I would like to use mail.mydomain.com for the setup of my mail once ready for the steps in Page 5.

On Page 5:
You will be asked two questions. Answer as follows:
General type of mail configuration: <-- Internet Site
System mail name: <-- server1.example.com


Considering the changes I made in the hosts file, should I be able to
use mail.mydomain.com as my system mail name?


Also in Page 5 there's a mention of the following in regards to setting up mail:

Other destinations to accept mail for (blank for none): <-- server1.example.com, localhost.example.com, localhost.localdomain, localhost

Question: Is there anything else I would need to consider adding given what I'm doing?

On Page 5:
Next we configure Postfix for TLS (make sure that you use the correct hostname for myhostname):
postconf -e 'myhostname = server1.example.com'

I'm assuming that this can be mail.mydomain.com given the way I want to configure my setup. Can someone please confirm?

Please keep in mind that in the end, I will also be adding ISPconfig so I want to make sure that what changes I make will not interfere with a successful install of this as wel.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nibbles

Last edited by nibbles; 30th January 2008 at 18:04.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 31st January 2008, 19:07
nibbles nibbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: still on planet earth
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default over 50 views but nothing to share... wow

Kinda surprise no one has nothing to share on this so far after 50 views...
Any input or suggestions most appreciated...


Cheers,
Nibbles
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31st January 2008, 19:22
topdog topdog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 153 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Why not use DNS instead on the hosts file ? And i think it is the colors that are putting people off from reading your post.
__________________
----
http://www.topdog.za.net - Got Linux problems ? - I can help.
http://www.baruwa.org - Try it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31st January 2008, 20:26
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles
Question: If I want to make an internal based web based portal as well, would I need to map it in there. (something like maybe "home.nibblesnet.com" as example perhaps)? So would I need to add it in the hosts file?
Do you mean this web site should be accessible only from within your LAN?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles
On the same page from the Howto, I wanted to know about the following:
echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh start


I noted that you can only add one of them. I wanted to know what is better to use based on the 1st step:

mail.mydomain.com?
or
www.mydomain.com?
bear in mind that I want to host a domain I've already registered and I would like to use mail.mydomain.com for the setup of my mail once ready for the steps in Page 5.
That's up to you. But I'd use a domain name for the hostname that you don't use for email or for web sites; a domain that you only use to name your servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles
On Page 5:
You will be asked two questions. Answer as follows:
General type of mail configuration: <-- Internet Site
System mail name: <-- server1.example.com


Considering the changes I made in the hosts file, should I be able to
use mail.mydomain.com as my system mail name?
Yes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles
Also in Page 5 there's a mention of the following in regards to setting up mail:

Other destinations to accept mail for (blank for none): <-- server1.example.com, localhost.example.com, localhost.localdomain, localhost

Question: Is there anything else I would need to consider adding given what I'm doing?
Normally not, but if you get a "loops back to myself" error in your mail log when someone is sending a mail to you, you should add the domain that is listed together with the error to mydestination in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles
On Page 5:
Next we configure Postfix for TLS (make sure that you use the correct hostname for myhostname):
postconf -e 'myhostname = server1.example.com'

I'm assuming that this can be mail.mydomain.com given the way I want to configure my setup. Can someone please confirm?
That's right.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31st January 2008, 23:12
nibbles nibbles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: still on planet earth
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Do you mean this web site should be accessible only from within your LAN?
That's correct, in that I would have the following scenario:

"www.mydomain.com" <- Public one

"home.nibblesnet.com" (or any kinda name for that matter) <- Private internal website - since I have lots of stuff I would like to link via an internal webportal for internal use.

Thanks for your response... most of the answers you've given do help.

Warm Regards,
Nibbles

Last edited by nibbles; 31st January 2008 at 23:17.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1st February 2008, 16:00
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts
 
Default

You should add home.nibblesnet.com to the hosts file of all your client PCs so that they can resolve the hostname in your LAN.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Install VMware Server 1.0.4 On Ubuntu 7.10 beachreader HOWTO-Related Questions 2 23rd January 2008 00:29
ubuntu 7.10 'perfect' server but "os not supported" tashazo Installation/Configuration 6 17th December 2007 22:42
Ubuntu 7.10 hostname, mailserver, and DNS server questions. WonderCody Server Operation 3 24th November 2007 02:37
Ubuntu 7.10 server hostname,DNS server, and mailserver questions. WonderCody Installation/Configuration 2 23rd November 2007 17:04
Help installing ISPConfig on Ubuntu 7.10 Server Peasant Dave Installation/Configuration 7 25th October 2007 00:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.