Old 18th January 2008, 15:25

Default Server IP address for VPS?

Hi,
I have recently installed ISPConfig on a new Debian Etch OpenVZ VPS, all seems to be working as expected. It was setup using the Perfect Setup at this site.

I have a query with which IP address should be put in the main setting at Management/Server/Settings/IP Address in the web gui as I dont seem to have an internal IP address listed in /etc/network/interfaces. The only interfaces listed there are a static entry for venet0 assigned 127.0.0.1 and venet0:0 which is assigned my public facing IP address.

Logically it would seem right to put 127.0.0.1, substituting eth0 for venet0, but something tells me this may not be right. This does in fact break the redirection to sharedip for the default page, instead going to apache2-default. (easily fixed)

So my question is should I actually be using my public facing IP address as the address in Management/Server/Settings/IP Address in this situation?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 19th January 2008, 14:19
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolish
So my question is should I actually be using my public facing IP address as the address in Management/Server/Settings/IP Address in this situation?

Thanks
Yes, if it's listed in the output of
Code:
ifconfig

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
toolish (19th January 2008)