Old 11th January 2008, 10:04

Default domain alias and postfix

Hi all,
I found a little problem soon between co-domain aliases and postfix.
Since the thread here don't give any solution, I tried some things and here is what I found and my request.

The problem :
on a main domain (www.domain.tld), which has an external mail server, the mails send from ISPConfig don't go out, because the domain name (domain.tld) is listed in /etc/postfix/local-host-names.
The problem is, that a co-domain was created (intranet.domain.tld) (not an alias, another site with same domain name). If I go in the "alias" tab of this co-domain, I find an alias automatically created, where the host name is not set to "intranet" by default, but is blank.
So this unwanted alias forces Postfix to put "domain.tld" in local-host-names, and mails to this domain are always kept locally.

Choosing "External Mailserver" on both main and co-domain don't resolve that : the domain name is always added by Postfix (even if manually deleted in local-host-names) each time you push the save button.

So a request to ISPConfig team : is it possible to set the host name of the alias tab of a co-domain to the host name of the main tab ? It will be more logical, no ?

Thank you.
Regards,
F.

Last edited by fsoyer; 11th January 2008 at 10:07.
Sponsored Links
Old 12th January 2008, 16:57
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

What tab do you mean when you refer to the "alias" tab?

If intranet.domain.tld is a web site of its own, you can simply delete the Co-Domain without a hostname for that web site.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 12th January 2008, 17:46

The alias tab is, when selecting a site, the third (sorry, I have the french version, I don't know the translation). So if this alias is not necessary, and we can delete it, so why creating it (without hostname) automatically when creating a new site with same domain name ? This is what occurs now, try it...

I read some message in the forum with the problem of mails not going out due to this domain name in local-host-names. It seems that it will be better if no alias at all was created with a "new-site-with-an-existing-domain-name"

No ?
Old 13th January 2008, 13:19
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsoyer
The alias tab is, when selecting a site, the third (sorry, I have the french version, I don't know the translation).
That's the Co-Domains tab.

Quote:
So if this alias is not necessary, and we can delete it, so why creating it (without hostname) automatically when creating a new site with same domain name ?
That'S because in 95% of all cases, people create a web site like www.example.com and of course want example.com to point to the same web site. That's why the Co-Domain example.com is created automatically.

Quote:
I read some message in the forum with the problem of mails not going out due to this domain name in local-host-names. It seems that it will be better if no alias at all was created with a "new-site-with-an-existing-domain-name"
You can either delete it or set it to "External Mailserver" - then the domain will not appear in /etc/postfix/local-host-names.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: