Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 4th January 2008, 17:53

Default MySQL 5 Master-Master question

Hi All,

I'm confused on Master-Master replication vs. a MySql HA cluster...

Specifically the HA Mysql Cluster Howto and the Mysql5 Master-Master replication on Etch howto.

I've googled around looking for a definitive anwser on which way to go and I'm not finding anything really concreate other than mysql.com saying that "In some instances, a HA cluster is the perfect solution, but in most other Master-Master replication is the way to go"

What??? That's just about as clear as mud!

I currently have 1 mysql server running and would like to be able to add capacity and redundancy.

In the past I did the MySQL HA Cluster howto with the 2 loadbalancers, etc, but I somehow managed to smoke the database, so I went back to one system.

I have multiple webservers behind loadbalancers, and the database server supports those servers.

With all of that said...my basic questions are:
1. I'm hoping for a definitive direction on Master-Master replication vs HA Cluster'
2. With a Master-Master replication, do you still need the loadbalancers?
3. With Master-Master replication do you have a VIP or does each webserver just point to one database server?

What is the best/easiest to maintain way of getting a scalable and fault tolerant MYsql setup?

Thanks!

Tfunky
Sponsored Links
Old 5th January 2008, 14:01
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts

I recommend Master-Master replication because it's easier to set up and maintain. The big disadvantage with a MySQL cluster (at least for MySQL 5.0) is that all data is held in the memory. So if there's a power failure, all your data is gone.

Quote:
3. With Master-Master replication do you have a VIP or does each webserver just point to one database server?
You can let each web server point to one database server.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 5th January 2008, 20:15

Excellent! Whooohooo!

Would you recommend using a load balancer/VIP incase there is a failure?

In my head, if each webserver points to 1 database server, then if one of the database servers fails, the LoadBalancers for the website won't know it, and will keep sending people to a "good" webserver, that has a broken backend.

What do you think is best?
Old 6th January 2008, 13:40
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts

You could put the webserver and MySQL server on the same node. So if a node goes down, both the webserver and the MySQL server are down, so that all requests will be sent to the healthy node.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: