Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 5th April 2011, 22:22

Thank you very much for your help. I was hoping that it was on the tab that you were referring to. I am still searching for a good reason why ISPConfig doesn't automatically send an initialization email to the account when the email account is created. We know that to use the account, then an initialization email must be sent, or the maildir has to be created in some way to be able to use the account. The control panel should be designed to create a usable product (email account), without additional steps outside of the control panel that is creating the product.
Sponsored Links
Old 5th April 2011, 22:38

Send a message via ICQ to madmucho

Im using ispconfig2 on mandriva servers, so i dont have that problem, one using dovecot and second old one using courier. I tested your situation on old server with courier, created test account send email to him from gogleapps account, waited some time and after that log into using roundcube, my test mail was there normaly. tested again new acc and after creation procedure in user dir Maildir folder was automaticaly created, i was never loged into that account.

Edit: mandriva create automaticaly maildir using adduser. so i dont know how is that configurable in your distro, try man adduser and check my configs.

Code:
/etc/default/useradd
i have there:

Code:
# useradd defaults file
GROUP=100
HOME=/home
INACTIVE=-1
EXPIRE=
SHELL=/bin/bash
SKEL=/etc/skel
And
Code:
/etc/login.defs
Inside is
Code:
# *REQUIRED*
#   Directory where mailboxes reside, _or_ name of file, relative to the
#   home directory.  If you _do_ define both, MAIL_DIR takes precedence.
#   QMAIL_DIR is for Qmail
#
#QMAIL_DIR      Maildir
MAIL_DIR        /var/spool/mail
#MAIL_FILE      .mail

# Password aging controls:
#
#       PASS_MAX_DAYS   Maximum number of days a password may be used.
#       PASS_MIN_DAYS   Minimum number of days allowed between password changes.
#       PASS_MIN_LEN    Minimum acceptable password length.
#       PASS_WARN_AGE   Number of days warning given before a password expires.
#
PASS_MAX_DAYS 99999
PASS_MIN_DAYS   0
PASS_MIN_LEN    5
PASS_WARN_AGE   7

#
# Min/max values for automatic uid selection in useradd
#
UID_MIN                   500
UID_MAX                 60000

#
# Min/max values for automatic gid selection in groupadd
#
GID_MIN                   500
GID_MAX                 60000

#
# If defined, this command is run when removing a user.
# It should remove any at/cron/print jobs etc. owned by
# the user to be removed (passed as the first argument).
#
#USERDEL_CMD    /usr/sbin/userdel_local

#
# If useradd should create home directories for users by default
# On RH systems, we do. This option is ORed with the -m flag on
# useradd command line.
#
CREATE_HOME     yes
adduser -D # Default settings for new user

Code:
GROUP=100
HOME=/home
INACTIVE=-1
EXPIRE=
SHELL=/bin/bash
SKEL=/etc/skel
CREATE_MAIL_SPOOL=no
Hope that helps you little bit.

Last edited by madmucho; 5th April 2011 at 23:01. Reason: resarching
Old 5th April 2011, 23:30

Unfortunately none of that helps me. Fortunately I know what to do to get things working because of all the helpful people in this forum. This issue is discussed in other threads as well as this thread here. http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11177
In the end the answer is the same.
Quote:
You need to sent an initial mail to the just created user first, before the Maildir directories are created.

When the 1st mail arrives, Postfix automagically creates the required folders.
So my question still remains the same.
Quote:
Now I want to know why ISPConfig doesn't automatically send an initialization email to the account when it creates it?
Old 6th April 2011, 14:12

Send a message via ICQ to madmucho

So as i know ispconfig2 does not have functionality send salutatory email for new mail users, ispconfig3 have it implemented :/
Old 7th April 2011, 00:10

Thank you for confirming for a fact that ISPConfig does not have this functionality, and reinforcing my perplexity as to why ISPConfig 2 does not function in the described manner. We now have a lot of facts. With these facts, my question still remains the same.

Quote:
So as i know ispconfig2 does not have functionality send salutatory email for new mail users, ispconfig3 have it implemented :/
Quote:
You must send an email to that user first - the Maildir gets created when the first email arrives. Afterwards you should be able to fetch mails.
Quote:
You need to sent an initial mail to the just created user first, before the Maildir directories are created.

When the 1st mail arrives, Postfix automagically creates the required folders.
Quote:
Now I want to know why ISPConfig doesn't automatically send an initialization email to the account when it creates it?
Old 7th April 2011, 00:58
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,596 Times in 4,407 Posts

There are quite a few wrong answers in this thread that you mixd up with facts. The mailboxes get created automatically, so there is no need for a confirmation email. You just have to ensure that your system is configured properly.

Make sure that you installed your server as described in the perfect setup guide for ispconfig 2 (and not a guide for ispconfig 3!) and that you enabled the maildir option under system > server settings before you created the mailbox and not afterwards.
Old 7th April 2011, 01:23

Thank you till. I finally have the answer to my question.

Quote:
There are quite a few wrong answers in this thread that you mixd up with facts. The mailboxes get created automatically, so there is no need for a confirmation email. You just have to ensure that your system is configured properly.
That is a good reason as to why.

Now I have another question. Where is the perfect setup guide for people who can do all of the steps except for 1 important step in the perfect setup? I have no dvd-rom to install from a hard drive, so I am installing from a live usb drive. I don't have the option to select the web server package to install. It's the only step that can't be followed from usb install.
Old 7th April 2011, 01:35
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,596 Times in 4,407 Posts

This is a problem of the mail system, so a missing selection of the webserver should not be the reason for this problem.

1) Which tutorial did you follow?
2) Which errors do you get in the maillog file?
3) Have you enabled the maildir option in server settings before you created the mailbox?
4) Are you able to send emails to this mailbox? and if yes, are you able to login afterwards?
Old 7th April 2011, 02:20

1) I followed this. It did not work until I followed the comment made at the bottom that said to type yum install flex. http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...64-ispconfig-2
2) There are 5484 lines in my /var/log/maillog file. I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking for.
3) I enabled (checked) it before any clients or sites were created.
4) I am able to send emails to any newly created email user with no problems whatsoever. As soon as en email arrives the user can then log into the ISPConfig user control panel, and log into his pop3 mail account and check his mail. However, the email user can never log into ISPConfig user control panel, nor can he log into the pop3 mail server to check his mail, UNTIL that first email is sent to his address.
Old 7th April 2011, 03:23

The step that I am referring to is where it says, "Now we select the software we want to install. Uncheck Graphical Desktop and check Web Server instead....". That screen is not available from the live usb install, and the add/remove software gui from the gnome desktop is much different. Everything else was followed exact. When I tried installing ISPConfig it wouldn't install, so I tried the comment at the bottom that said yum install flex. After that everything installed. Shouldn't that be part of the ISPConfig install routine? Sites are created in ISPConfig, but there seems to be more problems. I noticed that none of the shell users could log in. I figured out that ISPConfig didn't configure sshd either. I started sshd and did chkconfig --level 345 sshd on. Now users can ssh. There is also a problem accessing a site using SSL that I setup in ISPConfig. I can't figure that one out yet either.

Last edited by John.Smith; 7th April 2011 at 03:29. Reason: Forgot inmportant info