Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th November 2007, 20:50

Default question about backing up two databases

I am setting up How To Set Up Database Replication In MySQL on debian perfet setup. I have entered binlog-do-db=exampledb twice, once for each database I want to backup. When I get to the setting up of the mysql, I am not sure what the corect entry is for two databases.
HTML Code:
USE exampledb;
FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK;
SHOW MASTER STATUS;
How can I enter both databases that I want backed up in here? Also on this part, what is the corect way to enter for two databases?
HTML Code:
mysqldump -u root -p<password> --opt exampledb > exampledb.sql
Also in the slave as well. can I enter both databases on here as well?
HTML Code:
mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
CREATE DATABASE exampledb;
quit;
HTML Code:
mysql -u root -p<password> exampledb < /path/to/exampledb.sql
On this I would just add the last line twice with the other database?
HTML Code:
server-id=2master-host=192.168.0.100master-user=slave_usermaster-password=secretmaster-connect-retry=60replicate-do-db=exampledb
Dose this not pertain to my setup if I chose the first setup? (dump) and not (load data from master)?
HTML Code:
If you have not imported the master exampledb with the help of an SQL dump, but want to go the LOAD DATA FROM MASTER; way, then it is time for you now to get the data from the master exampledb:

mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
LOAD DATA FROM MASTER;
quit;

If you have phpMyAdmin installed on the slave you can now check if all tables/data from the master exampledb is also available on the slave exampledb. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, we must do this:

mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
SLAVE STOP;

In the next command (still on the MySQL shell) you have to replace the values appropriately:

CHANGE MASTER TO MASTER_HOST='192.168.0.100', MASTER_USER='slave_user', MASTER_PASSWORD='<some_password>', MASTER_LOG_FILE='mysql-bin.006', MASTER_LOG_POS=183; 

MASTER_HOST is the IP address or hostname of the master (in this example it is 192.168.0.100). 
MASTER_USER is the user we granted replication privileges on the master. 
MASTER_PASSWORD is the password of MASTER_USER on the master. 
MASTER_LOG_FILE is the file MySQL gave back when you ran SHOW MASTER STATUS; on the master. 
MASTER_LOG_POS is the position MySQL gave back when you ran SHOW MASTER STATUS; on the master. 
Now all that is left to do is start the slave. Still on the MySQL shell we run

START SLAVE;
quit;

That's it! Now whenever exampledb is updated on the master, all changes will be replicated to exampledb on the slave. Test it! 

Thank you for explaining this to me.
Sponsored Links