Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th October 2007, 00:08

Default Before installing Linux: VMware and partitioning

Hello,
In the attached image, you will see how I partitioned my 2 disks several years ago, with PartitionMagic8. Basically, Windows XP is in C: on Disk 1, the swap file and the programs are on disk 2, respectively in D: and E:. Since I have AutoCAD, I need to create a virtual machine. I saw that there's a tutorial on this site, but do you think it's possible with my current configuration? Or should I try to merge C, D and E first? The swap file isn't a problem but I have no idea how to proceed for E, though.

Once this VM is created, what are your recommendations to set up Linux? I'm inclined to go for SimplyMEPIS or PCLinuxOS. I will need an NTFS partition for AutoCAD (and possibly Photoshop) and of course I want to migrate my other partitions F: (data), G: (photos) and K: (music and video).

Any suggestion really appreciated, I'm completely new to Linux.
Best Regards,
Tecehen
PS: I came across this http://www.techsupportalert.com/revi...dows-users.htm a while ago, worth reading
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 29th October 2007, 16:23
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

Are you referring to this tutorial? http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

I think (but I'm not sure) that it converts all your partitions to a vm; that should solve your problem.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 29th October 2007, 21:29

Default More questions

Falko,

Yes I was referring to the tutorial you mentioned. It is said there to create the VM on a network disk attached to the Linux system. However I don't have this config yet, since I will install Linux on my current XP machine. So the questions:
  • Where do I store the virtual machine?
  • How do I partition my disks in order to install Linux?
  • Which distribution do I try? I would like to import the maximum of my XP environment but may need to run an XP program, from time to time...
I was going to try SimplyMEPIS or PCLinuxOS...
Thanks,
Tecehen
Old 30th October 2007, 18:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecehen
Falko,

Yes I was referring to the tutorial you mentioned. It is said there to create the VM on a network disk attached to the Linux system. However I don't have this config yet, since I will install Linux on my current XP machine. So the questions:
  • Where do I store the virtual machine?
  • Don't you have any other PC in your network where you can store the virtual machine? A USB HDD would do as well.

Quote:
  • How do I partition my disks in order to install Linux?
  • Normally you can accept the default partitioning scheme that most Linux installers present you.
    Quote:
  • Which distribution do I try? I would like to import the maximum of my XP environment but may need to run an XP program, from time to time...
Quote:
I was going to try SimplyMEPIS or PCLinuxOS...
I'd go for Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.

Old 31st October 2007, 17:46

Default Linux partitioning

Falko,

Thanks for your reply. I do have an external USB HDD, I hadn't thought of using it. Could I burn the virtual machine on a CD, though? I also have a laptop but don't have a home network.

Regarding my disks, I've already read in one tutorial that I can accept the default partitioning. But is that efficient ? Will I be able to convert my existing XP partitions without losing data? Wouldn't it be better to create a Linux one at the beginning of disk 1 for the system and programs (want to be able to backup it in one go, which I can hardly do with my current config ), and move my other partitions on disk 2...

And also, why do you suggest Ubuntu, not Kubuntu or the distros I mentioned? Actually I was hinted to them by "Briard" (see here).

Thanks in advance for your patience ,
Tecehen
Old 1st November 2007, 19:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Falko,

Thanks for your reply. I do have an external USB HDD, I hadn't thought of using it. Could I burn the virtual machine on a CD, though? I also have a laptop but don't have a home network.
You can burn it onto a CD or DVD, but you must create it first (you cannot burn it while it's being created).

Quote:
Regarding my disks, I've already read in one tutorial that I can accept the default partitioning. But is that efficient ? Will I be able to convert my existing XP partitions without losing data?
There's a misunderstanding, I think. I guess you somehow think that your Linux partitioning must somehow be related to your XP partitioning. If you run XP in a virtual machine, this has nothing to do with your Linux partitioning.

Quote:
And also, why do you suggest Ubuntu, not Kubuntu or the distros I mentioned? Actually I was hinted to them by "Briard" (see here).
I use Ubuntu because it's based on Debian and therefore has the best package manager (apt), plus I like GNOME better than KDE. If you like KDE more, then of course you can use Kubuntu.