Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 14th October 2007, 16:47
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,597 Times in 4,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancer
Thanks, till, but I don't want a self-signed certificate. I want a CAcert signed certificate. What I need to generate at this time is the request.
What I described above is the procedure to create the request

You take the request that has been created by ISPConfig, sign it at cacert and put the certificate that you got from cacert into the certificate field. Then select "save" as action and click on the save button.
Sponsored Links
Old 14th October 2007, 17:17

Excellent. Thanks for the help, till - and for your patience. Both very much appreciated.
Old 15th October 2007, 22:50

So, SSL Cert added, all looks to be in the right place. However, now getting a strange error message when trying to bring up the site or the admin section (it's not called admin any more) with https:// on a site with Zen Cart as its only content. I need to know whether the peoblem is generated by ISPConfig, Zen Cart, the CAcert or some combination. The error message is:

www.celectronics.co.uk has sent an incorrect or unexpected error code: -12263

and an error not found when trying either with http://
Old 15th October 2007, 23:36

Playing with Zen Cart as well ! thats definitely compounding the felony.

When you say 'bringing it up with https, do you mean simply using https in the url rather than http, or that you are going to the user login/signup page or admin login, where it should automatically switch to https?

It should work either way, but it can get tricky on some setups. The -12263 is a nasty as well. Means - I'm not happy with the data I'm getting.

Could I suggest copy and back up your caCert stuff, then use the ISPConfig ssl page to generate a self signed certificate from the CSR, as Till described earlier in the thread, and test with that?
It'll give the usual bloodthirsty warnings, but it's fine for testing to see if it gives a similar error.
Old 15th October 2007, 23:59

Both, in the URL. Trying to go to the admin login or the site itself via the address bar gives the same result.

OK, I'll try that and report back. Thanks.
Old 16th October 2007, 00:40

Same result. Also, ISPConfig is reluctant to generate anything. A couple of times now I've had to delete a private key only and go back in to get a certificate and a request.

What next? Do a full Zen Cart reinstall with the (CA)cert already in place? That's several hours of installation and reconfiguration, but if it gets the thing working? I could be just as long trying to work out what's wrong here and still end up with the same conclusion, I suppose.

Or is there something else I could try?
Old 16th October 2007, 01:37

Reinstalling etc won't solve anything, just get you back to where you are.

If your ZCart installation is operational, leave it be. I'm assuming you have edited the admin and store configure.php files and changed ENABLE_SSL_ADMIN, ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG and ENABLE_SSL to true?

Another useful step is to head to the /www/webXX/ssl folder in a terminal window/command line, and type in

openssl x509 -noout -text -in nameofcert.crt

which will list out the certificate contents. (the actual cert name should obviously be inserted).

Similarly for the CSR

openssl req -noout -text -in nameofcertreq.csr

And the following 3 can be used to check that the key, the CSR and the cert match

openssl rsa -noout -modulus -in nameofprivkey.pem |openssl md5
openssl req -noout -modulus -in nameofcertreq.csr |openssl md5
openssl x509 -noout -modulus -in nameofcert.pem |openssl md5

Also, bear in mind that where certificates are concerned, www.mydomain.com is NOT the same as mydomain.com.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckl For This Useful Post:
chancer (16th October 2007)
Old 16th October 2007, 02:48

ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG - the other two, yes, but I thought this would hide the whole catalogue behind ssl? I'll try it now and see what happens.
Old 16th October 2007, 03:02

I think the original idea was that the ENABLE_SSL would only enable it for the payment modules, ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG does it for login and any other 'sensitive' areas after login, as well as payment. I'd have to check the code to be sure.

The other gotcha area with SSL is if you have Suexec or SuPHP enabled, they can play havoc with things if all is not perfect.
Old 16th October 2007, 03:03

Nothing happened. It's the same. So running the commands as suggested - no .pem in sight.

I've got .crt .csr .key and .key.org in the ssl directory. Could that be the root of the problem?