I'm new and I need help. Could someone please tell me in laymens terms how to install the Nforce3 drivers? I have onboard sound, NvidianForce3 series. The cd contains Linux drivers, however I am lost when it comes to installing/setting them up!
Here is what the readme file states: The source code copy from www.alsa-project.org
Linux Source Code for ALC audio codec
This Source Code is from www.alsa-project.org
For driver installation, please follow below steps.
Step 1. unzip source code
tar xfvj alcsound.tar.bz2
Step 2. Turn on sound support (soundcore module, default turn on)
Step 3. Complied source code
c. make install
Step 4. Edit your /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules depending on the distribution
(Please refer to the attached modules.conf)
Step 5. reboot your machine
Note: 1. The most detail information, can refer the alsa-kernel/Documenttation/ALSA-Configuration.txt
in the alcsound.tar.bz2.
2. Kernel Version must be 2.2.14 or later.
3. All mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native
or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels.
4. If can not compile the source code, try to rename the /usr/src/linux-2.x -> /usr/src/linux.
5. The driver added to support the SPDIF functoin.
6. Suggest use alsamixer to control mixer function. you can find it in the alsa-utils-0.9.4 (www.alsa-project.org)
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________ could someone give me some tips in laymen terms please? Thanks ahead of time.