Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 8th December 2005, 20:07

Default server is up and running, can I now add ASP?

I have recently installed FC4 and setup a web server, but now have a need to add support for ASP. Is this possible? What's needed to do it?
Sponsored Links
Old 8th December 2005, 21:47
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,652 Times in 4,461 Posts

ASP or ASP.NET?

As far as i know, there is no real support for ASP for non windows platforms. For ASP.NET have a look at the mono project http://www.go-mono.com
Old 8th December 2005, 21:50

okay. Any idea how much work is involved in converting an .asp web site to .php? Mostly just the menu - the site has a 7 category menu, click on a category and a second list of subcategories appears, the other top level categories slide down the page to make room for the newly appeared sub categories. (www.simradyachting.com). I'm sure it can be done in .php, just don't know how, other than making a seperate page for each menu, I really don't want to do that.
Old 8th December 2005, 22:15
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,652 Times in 4,461 Posts

How have you done it in ASP? My opinion is that PHP is more powerful then ASP and I've worked with both languages so there should be no problem to do it in PHP. You can either have the menu in a multi dimensional arry, read it out of a database or an XML file.
Old 8th December 2005, 23:46

I didn't write the asp page, it was written by some developers working for the company headquarter in Norway. I need to update the US version of the web site which I created in php, so would like to duplicate their asp site in php. I don't know anything about how it was written, other than they use some cms called Sitecore.