Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 9th October 2007, 02:41
wxman wxman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 189
Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Trying to see if I ne set up is wrong

I'm just getting to know how all this works, but I'm a bit confused. I have a Linux server going with Apache and ISPConfig installed. I'm just experimenting right now with setting up multiple domains on it. I tried to set up a test one using ISPConfig, but I don't think I did right.

When I look in the /var/www directory to see the new website files, the directory it made was called "www.test site.com" I thought ISPConfig used the user name to make the home directory? When I look in the new site directory, I find: cgi-bin log phptmp ssl user web. I've been used to finding my regular web files under httpdocs, and secure files under httpsdocs. I guess I'm not as well read as I hoped I was on this. I need to find some examples of how to set things up using ISPConfig, and what the directory structure should be. If anyone has some advice, or can point me to a better help than the one on the ISPConfig site, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 9th October 2007, 10:56
till till is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 36,794
Thanks: 840
Thanked 5,612 Times in 4,423 Posts
Default

Quote:
I thought ISPConfig used the user name to make the home directory?
No. ISPConfig creates a folder with the name web[ID] and a symlink www.domain.tld pointing to this folder for easier navigation on the shell.

Quote:
When I look in the new site directory, I find: cgi-bin log phptmp ssl user web. I've been used to finding my regular web files under httpdocs, and secure files under httpsdocs.
The html files must be put in the web folder for http and https (if enabled).

Quote:
I need to find some examples of how to set things up using ISPConfig, and what the directory structure should be.
There is nothing wrong with the directory structure.
__________________
Till Brehm
--
Get ISPConfig support and the ISPConfig 3 manual from ispconfig.org.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10th October 2007, 05:22
wxman wxman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 189
Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Ok here's a follow up question.

I set up a test site called www.testsite.com. If I look in /var/www I find:
/apache2-default /sharedip /web1 /webalizer /www.testsite.com for directories.
If I go to /www.testsite.com I find /cgi-bin /log /phptmp /ssl /user /web for directories. I get it that /web would be the web's root directory.

But under /web1 I find: /cgi-bin /log /phptmp /ssl /user /web as well, just like under /www.testsite.com. So who's root files are those?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10th October 2007, 11:35
chuckl chuckl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
Posts: 166
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman
Ok here's a follow up question.
But under /web1 I find: /cgi-bin /log /phptmp /ssl /user /web as well, just like under /www.testsite.com. So who's root files are those?

Those are the files and folder structure for your www.testsite.com. All website files go in the web folder. i.e. If you want to continue to set up a www.testsite.com, place the filesin /var/www/web1/web/.

The other files and folders you referred to are ISPConfig 'control' files, and can be ignored.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10th October 2007, 12:01
till till is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 36,794
Thanks: 840
Thanked 5,612 Times in 4,423 Posts
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman
Ok here's a follow up question.

I set up a test site called www.testsite.com. If I look in /var/www I find:
/apache2-default /sharedip /web1 /webalizer /www.testsite.com for directories.
If I go to /www.testsite.com I find /cgi-bin /log /phptmp /ssl /user /web for directories. I get it that /web would be the web's root directory.

But under /web1 I find: /cgi-bin /log /phptmp /ssl /user /web as well, just like under /www.testsite.com. So who's root files are those?
From my post above:

Quote:
ISPConfig creates a folder with the name web[ID] and a symlink www.domain.tld pointing to this folder for easier navigation on the shell.
So www.testsite.com is a symlink to web1 directory.
__________________
Till Brehm
--
Get ISPConfig support and the ISPConfig 3 manual from ispconfig.org.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installation Troubles bswinnerton Installation/Configuration 4 29th July 2007 17:56
Advice on how to setup Lintrack As A LAN Gateway And An OpenVPN Bridge eddiequek HOWTO-Related Questions 0 12th July 2007 11:38
Transaction error Perfect FC6 setup ACDII HOWTO-Related Questions 1 6th July 2007 15:56
newbie ububtu 6.0.6 error PHP binary line 816 davidsky73 Installation/Configuration 8 17th September 2006 12:51
Wrong MX Record being set hairydog2 Installation/Configuration 4 27th November 2005 23:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.