Old 26th September 2007, 20:31

Default ispconfig with dhcp

Well I've been using ispconfig (set up according to the 'perfect setup') on my two debian etch servers for a while now, and everything's been perfect.

That is, until now, when my ISP decided to introduce a new system, according to which it becomes obligatory to use the dhcp server of the ISP. So, now I won't be able to simply type my external IPs (I have 10 external IPs on each server) in /etc/network/interfaces - I have to use dhcp! The ISP tells me that if I keep the manual configuration, I won't have any Internet - they call this "dhcp snooping", when connection is blocked if the request is made directly and not via dhcp.

My ISP also says that in order to keep all my external IP addresses I need to make my network card broadcast different physical addresses - so let's say I want ten external IPs, so my single network card must broadcast 10 different physical addresses (mac addresses) - so that the ISP's dhcp server will know which IP should be assigned to which address.

So my two questions are:

1) Is it possible to configure ispconfig to work with dhcp server? If yes, how?

2) How can I make my single network card broadcast several different physical addresses (mac addresses)?

As always, your help is much appreciated.

Last edited by dimas; 26th September 2007 at 20:41.
Sponsored Links
Old 26th September 2007, 22:41

Sorry I forgot to add that the external IP addresses assigned to my network adapter by DHCP server will be permanent (they won't change after reboot, etc) - these IP addresses will be bound to the mac address - so I won't have to worry about that at least.

But it still leaves the question of how to assign several mac addresses to one network adapter, and also how to configure ispconfig to "read" these IPs from DHCP server...

Last edited by dimas; 26th September 2007 at 23:46.
Old 26th September 2007, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimas
Sorry I forgot to add that the external IP addresses assigned to my network adapter by DHCP server will be permanent (they won't change after reboot, etc) - these IP addresses will be bound to the mac address - so I won't have to worry about that at least.

But it still leaves the question of how to assign several mac addresses to one network adapter, and also how to configure ispconfig to "read" this IPs from DHCP server...
The page at http://yftsai.wordpress.com/2006/08/...e-mac-address/ suggests that it's possible to assign fake MAC addresses. I was not able to make it work in my initial testing, but further research might be in order. My thought is that it might be possible to define, for example, eth0:1 to have a different MAC address - IF the tip at the URL above supports this.
Old 26th September 2007, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdude
The page at http://yftsai.wordpress.com/2006/08/...e-mac-address/ suggests that it's possible to assign fake MAC addresses. I was not able to make it work in my initial testing, but further research might be in order. My thought is that it might be possible to define, for example, eth0:1 to have a different MAC address - IF the tip at the URL above supports this.
Oops, sorry, that won't work. Check out note 4 at
http://whoozoo.co.uk/mac-spoof-linux.htm
Old 26th September 2007, 23:44

Thank you, yes, I've read about this - although somewhere else...

So the question is still open...
Old 27th September 2007, 18:23
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
1) Is it possible to configure ispconfig to work with dhcp server? If yes, how?
You don't have to worry about this as the IP addresses stay the same.
Quote:
2) How can I make my single network card broadcast several different physical addresses (mac addresses)?
Try something like this in /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
  hwaddress ether 02:01:02:03:04:08

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 27th September 2007, 19:26

Thank you for your reply, so you are suggesting that my /etc/network/interfaces file should look like this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hwaddress ether 02:01:02:03:04:08

auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet dhcp
hwaddress ether 02:01:02:03:04:09

auto eth0:1
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hwaddress ether 02:01:02:03:04:10

etc for ten addresses?

I'll try it, thank you.
Old 28th September 2007, 18:46
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Yes, try that (make sure you have leading spaces in front of each hwaddress line).

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: