Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 23rd September 2007, 13:53

Default VMware tools install help for Debian Sarge guest

I'm running VMware Server 1.02 on a Windows Server 2003 host. I've got a Debian Sarge guest and need some guidance to install the vmware tools. My guest will not be running any desktop application. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd September 2007, 16:10

It's a good idea to get/download the server admin manual and server vm manual from VMWare, they cover a lot of this stuff.

To install the tools on a Linux guest, you need to use the server console or a client console, with the particular guest os vm displayed, and the guest os running. Select Install VMWare Tools from the top menu.
On a Windows guest os, the installer usually starts automatically, on a Linux guest, nothing appears to happen. i.e. it must be done manually.
All it does is make a CD image available to mount.

Mount the CD image
e.g.
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

move to something like /tmp
cd /tmp

and yhave a look at the image
ls /mnt/cdrom

There will be an RPM and a tar.gz file in the image, called something like
VMwareTools-1.0.4-XXXXX.tar.gz.

extract this to /tmp
tar zxf VMwareTools-1.0.4-XXXXX.tar.gz

unmount the cd image
umount /mnt/cdrom

and have a look
ls

There will be a vmware-tools-distrib or similar folder created, cd into it and run the installer
cd vmware-tools-distrib
./vmware-install.pl

Answer the questions as necessary.
Old 27th September 2007, 05:56

I think we're almost there. I got to a point where it stated "None of the pre-built vmmemctl modules for VMware Tools is suitable for your running kernel". I'm currently running gcc-3.3 and my nuame -r is 2.6.8-2-386. I found an article that stated to run: apt-get install autoconf automake binutils make cpp cpp-3.3 gcc gcc-3.3 kernel-headers-$(uname -r) but apt couldn't find kernel-headers-2.6.8-2.386. Any ideas?
Old 27th September 2007, 22:51

Check your /etc/apt/sources.list It probably has the word 'stable' on nearly every line. e.g.

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main

Stable is now the etch repository. Change the 'stable's to 'sarge' (no quotes of course)