Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 25th January 2008, 08:07

Has anyone tried this with UebiMiau?

I've followed the steps myself. If I list the contents of the folder via the shell I can see .Junk, however I cannot see it while logged into UebiMiau.
Sponsored Links
Old 25th March 2008, 08:01

On Debian tmpreaper should be used instead of tmpwatch since tmpreaper is in the repositories (attempting to apt-get tmpwatch will warn and throw, mentioning tmpreaper)...

Apart from that this appears to work GREAT... and is a WAY simpler solution to the problem than I've been seeing elsewhere. Spam moved to .Junk, purging of .Junk - server side so no hassles regardless of client software.

Plugs a functionality hole as I was thinking on using roundcube - but the lack of message filtering kept sending me back to SquirrelMail.
Old 7th April 2008, 17:47

First off I want to say that this posting is amazing! ... With that said I am using Squirrel-Outlook and am unable to figure out how to auto-subscribe .Junk folder. Does anyone have a good solution for this?
Old 7th April 2008, 23:13

Addendum

In walking a buddy through setting this up on his server (I pointed him here, he got lost), we had real issues getting the purge script to run despite being (I thought) the same setup (Debian Etch perfect with ISPConfig as per this site) as my own server.

The script was throwing couldn't find directory errors and wouldn't work until I filled out the directory values the whole way.

So for debian etch, that should read (this is set to 3 days, the admin account for my buddies server sees 1500 spam a day):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

hours=$((24*3))

for domain in /var/www/*
do
  if [ -d "$domain"/user ]
  then
    for user in *
    do
      if [ -d "$domain/user/$user/Maildir/.Junk" ]
      then
        # change tmpreaper to tmpwatch for some distros
        tmpreaper -m $hours $domain/user/$user/Maildir/.Junk/{cur,new}
      fi
    done
  fi
done
Oh, and a little 'tip' for nubes that isn't mentioned here (came up while instructing my buddy, who's greener than moldy cheese) - chmod 775 this purge.junk file or cron won't execute it. With *nix heads this is one of those 'assumed' things that really should be mentioned so people new to bash and *nix have a clue.

I switched my own server to this file to verify it worked there too. No difference either way between my previous and this one - though I'm going with this one since it seems to work better across multiple distros (and doesn't burn time executing chdir)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deathshadow For This Useful Post:
falko (8th April 2008), Snowman (25th September 2008), till (7th April 2008)
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I hate having my mail deleted for me. I rarely have false positives, but I'd rather see the junk mail I'm getting to be able to make sure.

These changes allow you to change the behavior to either:
  • Leave it in your inbox
  • Move it to the Junk folder
That's really helpful, but I'd like to offer three options:

1. Allow it into the mailbox
2. Move it to the junk folder
3. Delete it immediately

Would this be easy to add as an option?
Old 24th September 2008, 11:18

It works with the tutorial on Howtoforge.com (http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-add...g-installation).
BUT it seems to work on for account that is admin with ISPConfig 2.2.25, roundcubemail and Hardy heron Ubuntu Gnu/Linux server.
I've tried everything i could : no way !
In fact, for the account that is selected as "admin" of a domain, spam go all in the Junk forlder.
But for the other mail accounts of this same domain, spam go in the receive box as before.
Of course, i've selected the "move" option in the ispconfig panel ... but no luck ...

UPDATE :
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',' in /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_procmail.lib.php on line 419

UPDATE 2 :
Several mails go now in my server user account...

"You have new mail.
$ mail
Mail version 8.1.2 01/15/2001. Type ? for help.
"/var/mail/olivier": 34 messages 34 new ..."

Last edited by mumbly; 25th September 2008 at 07:16.
Old 25th September 2008, 12:58

Did you use the patch with users created before patching? Did you create mailboxes afterwards and check these? It seems to me, that the users you select the new "move" option on, don't have a junk folder. That is the patch on the ispconfig_procmail.lib.php, to create all needed folders for future users. If you have users before who have NO junk folder, it doesn't get created out of the blue. I would advide to set roundcube to create those folders on first connection per default (I think Hans already set the roundcube package up that way) and log into that users via RC to create those missing boxes.
Another possibility would be to create them by hand but watch your permissions closely then!
Old 25th September 2008, 13:23

Thanx Grey !
But i've found a simpler solution by just editing the spamassassin.rc file for my user and telling procmail to not put the spam to /dev/null but to .Junk/ folder.
That's very simple but it works like a charm ... and this is what i was looking for !
Thanx for all !
Old 25th September 2008, 14:41

That, too, only works if and only IF a Junk folder exists, what is - without the modifications of my howto - not the case if you create a new user out of the box. That user needs to login first with Roundcube or an IMAP Client to create those folders, if you don't do that for him. If that folder doesn't exist, that will result in further problems.

With that solution in this thread you don't have to edit that much files, but it's still important, that the folders (.Junk, .Trash) exist.

Last edited by Grey; 26th September 2008 at 09:56.
Old 25th September 2008, 20:45

Ok !
Thanx again anyway !